Chapter 4 - The second date

Day 2

Early the next morning I woke, lying on my back now, my arm across his chest and my hand curled around one of his hands. Nick was asleep, hand relaxed, I wondered if he'd fallen asleep holding it. I shifted onto my side, closer to him, and fell back to sleep.

When I woke again, Nick was up, on the balcony outside and arguing with someone on the phone. I yawned, stretched, and he glanced back, gesturing for me to stay put. But I had to go to the toilet and I got up anyway, stretching, heading for the bathroom.

When I got back, he was waiting, lifting me up easily and dropping me back onto the bed.

"Hey!"

"I'm taking you all around New York today. So relax and let me feed you in bed." He started to put something on plates in the tiny kitchen before coming over, flopping in bed beside me, giving me a plate of fruit and scrambled eggs, luckily separated.

"Where are we going?"

"For a cruise to see a giant green French chick." He grinned. Fed me with a spoon, slowly, watching my lips as I accepted a grape and some watermelon, Nick's grin fading somewhat as he dampened his own lips.

"Yum. Thanks." I pushed his plate at him.

Nick ate, laying on his back again, resting his plate on his chest.

"Thanks for last night." I added, relaxing back down on my side, unable to keep my eyes off him.

"I promised to take care of you while you're here." Nick shifted onto his side, putting the plate between us. "Tell you the truth, I haven't shared a bed with a woman like this."

"Like what?"

"Dressed and off limits." He reached across, pretending to go for my chest, and I tapped it away with the banana before I peeled it. "It's new."

"They're usually naked and all over you?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Usually." Nick added, a wicked grin, "Sometimes I'm all over them." One of his legs came over my legs, only to be pushed away, making him do a very convincing little whine. Like a puppy. "Aww. You're so cute.”

My cheeks heated a little which Nick clearly enjoyed, leg coming back over across mine, teasing me as we tried to finish.

"Did you see what was outside?"

"Outside?" I turned to look out the door, the windows still covered with the curtains, and stared. Snow! I scrambled up to my feet, heading outside into the balcony, nearly sliding straight off the slippery metal and off the edge. Nick grabbed my hips just in time and yanked me back into his much more secure foothold.

"Woah, Aussie, you nearly fell." He tightened his arms around me. I could feel Nick's heart racing against my back as he shook his head. "Scared me."

"Snow!" I reached out to touch the rail, bringing up the light dusting of the white stuff onto my hand, all of New York covered with it. "When did that happen?"

"Last night." Nick's voice came from behind me, his chin resting on my head, keeping me securely there. I didn't really care. "You were too asleep to notice."

"Will it snow again?" I rubbed the little heap of snow onto Nick's bare arm and he shivered against me, though I wasn't sure if it was because of the snow or because I'd brushed my hand along his arm, his chest pressing harder against my back. "Nick?"

"Huh? Oh. Yes, the paper said it'd snow tonight and tomorrow. Come inside before you get cold." He pulled me back and I let him, closing the doors, Nick's arms taking a fraction longer to let me go than they needed to. I could feel something against me, something pressing, and felt my face warm. "We'll go when we've showered. Mind if I go second?"