I Need You (Part I)

Saying Paige was pissed was an understatement. She was beyond pissed. She was confused, she was sad, she was hurt, and yes, she was pissed, too.

She had never cried so much in her life. Not after her dad died. Not after Drew left. Not even after her and Ralph were evicted out of their apartment.

No, this was worse.

The man she loved had practically kicked her off the team. Her family.

She was enraged at Walter, but she was kind of mad at herself, too. Maybe if she had told him what she said in that rocket, he would understand. Maybe if she had helped him process his "love" for her, he would understand that he still needed her. And she still needed him.

~

Walter was absolutely terrified. And angry.

What had he done?

He had angered the woman he loved more than anything in the world, and when she had stormed out tonight, he had looked after her, instantly regretting what he had done. What if she was walking out of his life forever?

He sat on the couch, his head in his hands, not paying attention to the tears that were streaming down his cheeks. He was startled when he felt the couch shift as someone sat down. Walter thought everyone had left.

"What you did was stupid," the person said.

The genius looked up to find Happy sitting beside him, staring straight ahead.

"I know," he mumbled.

"You've done a lot of idiotic things in the past," she said, "but this has got to be the worst."

She started to get angry. "FIRING Paige, O'Brien?! What the hell were you thinking?"

Walter couldn't form any words, so he remained silent.

"Listen," Happy continued, "I know you love her. I know you don't understand emotion and all that sappy shit. Trust me, I know. And I know what you're doing." She took a deep breath. "You're pushing Paige away because you're scared. You're scared you're gonna lose her since you confessed your love for her. But guess what? You about lost her tonight." She paused. "I know that Toby, Cabe, and Sly would all say to leave her alone, but I think maybe she'll give you a chance to explain. I suggest you go talk to her before you lose her altogether. Before Scorpion loses her. Don't tell her I said this, but we wouldn't be a team if it wasn't for her."

And then she was gone.

~

Paige was glad that she thought to drop Ralph off at his friend's house tonight. She didn't know how he would react to her bawling her eyes out.

As soon as Paige had stepped into her house, she had collapsed on the couch and curled up in a ball. She had somehow got up, however, and had ended up in her pajamas. And then she had resumed her position on the couch. She had been there for well over an hour, but she didn't care.

It felt good to cry, to let out all she was feeling-regret, sadness, anger, frustration, everything. She kept on replaying scenes with Walter in her mind.

How had he come up with the idea of firing her?What had happened that he felt like she was no use to him (or the team) anymore? She knew part of it, but not all of it.

As she hiccuped, and started to sob again as she thought of the kiss they had shared over a year ago, she heard a sound. Propping herself up on her elbows, she listened hard.

Bam bam bam

There it was again. It was the sound of someone knocking on her door.

"Go away," she called weakly.

But the pounding didn't stop, so eventually Paige stumbled to the door and without checking to see who it was, she flung it open.

When she saw Walter standing on the other side, however, she couldn't shut it fast enough. But Walter caught it with his foot.

"Pa-"

"Go away. I don't want to see you."

He cleared his throat, trying to ignore her puffy eyes and her trembling lips. "Paige, I-"

"GO AWAY, DAMN IT!" she screamed, collapsing to the floor and starting to sob. Walter immediately fell down beside her to see if she was hurt. Pushing him away, she growled, "Go. Away. NOW!"

But Walter wasn't budging.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

Paige's head whipped around, and to Walter's surprise, she started to laugh emotionlessly.

"You're sorry? You kick me to the curb, you fire me, and all you have to say is 'I'm sorry'?! Wow, Walter."

"I really am," he said in a small voice.

Paige scoffed. "I don't want to hear it."

Rising to her feet, she pointed a trembling finger to the door. "I think you should go," she whispered.

But Walter wasn't finished.

"I meant it," he said.

"The apology? 'Cause-"

"No," he interrupted. "What I said-in the rocket. I-I meant it. I do love you."

Paige crossed her arms in front of her chest, not forgiving him that easily.

"If you love me, why did you fire me?" she demanded, wanting him to leave, but also aching for him to stay and clear things up.

"I was scared," Walter admitted. "I was scared you would resent me for loving you."

Paige softened a bit, but she was still angry.

"Walter. Why would I resent you for loving me?"

He shrugged in defeat, and swiped at a tear that had fallen down his cheek.

"That's why I, um, I let you go. I didn't want to hurt you."

"You already have," she stated.

"But," he continued, "I realize that letting you go was the stupidest thing I've ever done. I called Elia and told him that you're staying at Scorpion. That is...if you want." He paused. "I let you go because I was scared of love. I was scared I was going to do something I regret with you there. That I would do something irrational and rash. But I realize now, that without you, I'm more irrational than ever. I need you, Paige."

Paige continued to stare at him with her arms crossed, not knowing what to say.

"Walter," she started. "I am sorry that I didn't tell you what happened on that rocket. I'm sorry that I didn't help you process it. But Walter-" She stepped towards him. "I did mean what I said. I do-" She glanced around and bit her lip, trying not to start sobbing again. "I do love you, Walter O'Brien. I always will. But I don't...I don't know if I can trust you right now. So please, please leave and let me think. I'll come back to work in a few days, or when you really need me. But I need some time to myself. Can you do that for me?"

Walter nodded, and turned to leave, but right before he reached for the doorknob, he whirled around and kissed her. But almost as quickly as he had done it, he pulled away and walked out, slamming the door behind him.

But instead of going home, he slumped against the door, trying to catch his breath. Little did he know, Paige was leaning against the other side.

~

THERE WAS PART ONE GUYS!!!

I felt like this couldn't be resolved in one chapter, so I will be writing a second (and maybe even a third) part(s).

I hope you all enjoyed, as that episode shook all of us up.

But I promise it will be okay.

I promise.

~