Chapter Twelve

Hey everyone!  So excited to post this chapter!  It's probably my favorite one!  Let me know what you think in the comments or give me a vote!

Agitated whispers swept through the crowd. Several wails of horror erupted as the news reached the furthest corners. Prince John leaned heavily on his throne and then looked at the vacant seat of his brother, overturned when Richard fell. Slowly and painfully, he righted it and sat down in it. The people said nothing as they all stared at the prince in a dazed pain. Both of the princesses were dead or as good as dead, their king was pierced through the heart with the arrow of one of their own people, and the man whose rule had only brought misery was now sitting upon the throne permanently. As the first waves of understanding spread through the crowd, they found that the murderer was already gone without a trace. Prince John sat, overlooking the people, listening to quiet sobs grow in volume as the women began to mourn. This was what he had expected. The people were too stunned to oppose his ascent to the throne and now it was his. He forced the threatening smile away and covered his face with his hand.

It seemed like ages for the situation to soak in when a new whisper spread through the crowd. It wasn't a sad exclamation, but a surprised and almost hopeful one. Prince John looked up quickly. At the far edge of the crowd nearest the forest, a figure was weaving through the people towards him. Prince John stood up trying to get a better look. A green hood and cloak; all too familiar for him. A smile stretched his mouth into a taut line as he tried to suppress it. He couldn't imagine how this day could get any better.

Robin stepped from the crowd and stood before the platform.

"Robin Hood, have you come to mock my grief?" Prince John asked angrily.

"No, I've come to suspend it," Robin replied curtly.

"Is that so?" Prince John snapped. "And how do you intend to do that?"

"I will come to that, but first, I will introduce to you one of the many you have wronged," Robin replied. He motioned to the crowd and a huge man with dark hair and green eyes came out wearing the colors of the king's train.

"This is Little John. A year ago, he saved the king's life and again, today," Robin said. Prince John's face turned from anger to confusion and just a hint of uncertainty.

"From what?" he asked.

"I feel sure you already know. For his loyalty to the crown, his family was burned alive in their home and he was outlawed and hunted." Robin's voice dropped lower in anger.

"He came for revenge, but was only able to brand the would be murderer with a scar from his temple to his chin," Robin said. The people inhaled in a deep gasp as they understood the charges Robin had just stated.

"Are you accusing me of plotting against my own brother?" Prince John stammered in horror.

"I haven't even begun to start accusing you," Robin replied coolly. "The king wished to reward Little John for his brave deed and find out who his failed murderer really was, but he could neither find him nor his would-be assassin. He left on a quest to find Little John and thank him, but he was only able to give his thanks a few weeks ago when they met on the road leading here. There, Little John told the king the name of the man who had killed his family and who tried to kill the king himself," Robin said. Prince John seemed to pale and his scar stood out even more obviously as it pulsed red. He backed to his chair when he saw the crowd moving again from every direction. Men dressed as peasants, entertainers, servants, soldiers and nobles and some even wearing the green and brown of the band appeared around Robin.