Like That

Chapter 8

Half an hour later, they were standing on a wide ledge as far away from a cave as possible. Hiccup was telling Toothless to stay and not provoke the Nightmare like he did last time, because it made the Nadder nervous and they really didn't need that right now.

"Um, Hiccup? Are you... Sure this is safe?" Fishlegs asked nervously.

"They're good dragons," Hiccup replied. "Just show them you aren't going to... Hurt them and you'll be fine," He added, as he walked into the shadows.

As he made his way into the cave, he called out in Dragonese. "Hello? Anyone home? It's Hiccup, you remember me, right?" He could hear the dragons' breathing, though he couldn't see anything. His foot caught on something in the dark and he fell forwards, grunting when he hit the ground.

"Well, it is him," Someone whispered cautiously. The Nadder, Hiccup presumed. She always spoke her mind, like Astrid. "Nobody else is that clumsy."

"Hmm, yes... But why would he bring killers here?" Another replied. The Gronckle, always thinking things through.

"Why don't we just ask him? Dimwit, it might be a trap!" That would be the Zippleback, arguing with herself... Again.

"If it's Hiccup, why would it be a trap? Hiccup's a nice hatchling." The Nightmare wasn't exactly the smartest dragon in the cave, but she had a point.

Hiccup got to his feet. "It's not a trap. The pretty blond girl outside, Astrid, found my home and I convinced her and the others that dragons aren't dangerous or evil or anything, but they want more proof."

"Do they have weapons?" Asked the Nadder.

"No, I made them leave those behind."

"Then I will come." She said, nosing Hiccup. He sighed in relief.

"So will I! Don't forget me!" chorused the Zippleback, following the Nadder's lead.

"Are you sure they won't hurt us?" Asked the Gronkle nervously.

"Yeah, I'm sure." Hiccup replied.

"I will," Boasted the Nightmare. "I'm not afraid." She shot a bolt of fire at the wall to prove her point and stepped forward.

"I'm not scared!" The Gronckle said indignantly. "I'm just... Cautious." Nevertheless, she walked over to nuzzle Hiccup as well.

Outside the cave, Fishlegs asked, "What do you think he's doing?"

"I don't know... Ah!" Snotlout started when the Nightmare's fire lit up the cave, and they all saw the small sihlouetted form of Hiccup facing several dragons.

"I shouldn't have let him go in there..." Stoick was worried. How many times had he had to save his son from a dragon's teeth?

"No," Astrid said. "He's coming out!" Sure enough, Hiccup was making his way into the sunlight, followed by several nervous dragons.

"Astrid," He beconed for her to come over to him. "Come, uh... Here."

Astrid walked slowly over to him as he whispered something to the Nadder in Dragonese. The dragon nodded in response and stepped forward.

"Hiccup?" Astrid asked. He gave her a familiar lopsided grin.

"Astrid... Meet your, um, dragon." He said. Her eyes widened.

"She's beautiful... What's her name?" She asked, raising her hand to touch the Nadder's nose.

"She.. Doesn't have one... None of them do." Hiccup replied.