Chapter 1

"Annabeth, I can always tell when something's up, and right now it's eating at you worse than Grover faced with a tin can." Thalia leaned back and shot a coy smile at me, daring me to prove her wrong. But, like the best friend she was, she was right on point. I groaned and stuffed my face in the pillow on my bed.

"Why are you even here? Aren't you supposed to be all young and forever maiden-ly, out kicking the asses of unsuspecting monsters and boys alike?" Thalia was a Hunter of Artemis. I know, it sounds like a gang, right? But in reality, Thalia serves the goddess Artemis as her attendant, forever young and un-dying. Which is pretty damn cool, if you ask me. Plus, she's super accurate with a bow.

Thalia smirked and wheeled herself around and around in my swivel desk chair, something which annoyed me to no end.

"It's not forbidden to take some time off to visit your best friends."

"Visit? Or interrogate?" I retorted. Thalia sighed, sitting up mid-swivel and giving me a serious look.

"Look, Annabeth, I know you. And I know something's up. So just tell me! It isn't-" she stopped midsentence and stared at me, a grin slowly spreading across her features.

"It doesn't have anything to do with a boy, does it?" I turned away from her so she couldn't see my spreading blush.

"No."

 "I knew it! I just knew it! Don't lie to me Annabeth. You've been acting all moody and depressed lately because you're-"

"THALIA GRACE DON'T YOU DARE-"

"In love! Annabeth Chase, you are in love with someone and I know it!" Thalia crowed triumphantly, pleased that she had discovered my problem. The only problem with THAT was that we were still miles away from any solution. Ugh.

I still refused to look at her.

"I won't say yes to that."

"You don't have to; your red face says it all." My blush only deepened.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Thalia complained, sounding a little hurt.

"Thals! I hardly knew it myself. I didn't know, and I DON'T know. I'm not-"

Just then, a knock sounded from the door of the Athena cabin, where Thalia and I were currently holed up.

"Annabeth? Are you there?" Percy Jackson, my OTHER best friend for over 5 years, asked. I gulped and my bright red blush spread. Speak of the devil. I felt Thalia's eyes boring holes in my face as I sighed and yelled out, "Yeah, come on in."

As Percy opened the door, Thalia's eyes darted between his face and mine, then back to his face again. And then she started laughing. A deep, floor-shaking laugh that drew tears from her eyes and rendered her speechless. Percy stopped and stared, his eyebrows raised as if to say, 'what the Hades is going on with her?' Thalia, still chuckling, got up from the chair and leaned over to whisper in my ear, "we'll talk about this later." I glared furiously at her. Percy was still standing off to the side, looking completely mystified. Thalia gave him a hug as she turned to go, winking at me and saying, "you kids have fun." I was ready to stab her with my dagger.

When she had finally left, Percy turned back to me. He looked extremely confused.

"What was THAT all about?"

"Nothing. Girl talk. You know..." I tried to make it sound boring and gross.

Percy wrinkled his nose as he sat in the now unoccupied desk chair. "Yuck. Spare me the details." In spite of myself, I giggled. Percy looked shocked.

"Who are you and what have you done with my Annabeth?" he asked, feigning terror. I stopped laughing immediately and my heart began to pound. MY Annabeth?