How It All Started

"Hey Kenzi can we talk about last summer?" My best friend Declan asked me. This was the very first time he wanted to talk about it. What happened last summer was never supposed to be talked about. We both knew it would ruin our friendship. Why would now be "the perfect time" to talk about it?

"Ya? Sure, why?" I asked confused. Something is bothering him but I just can't quit put my finger on it. Declan has been my best friend since we met in the 9th grade. We have spent every single waking moment together and I don't know how I could live without him.

"I just, I mean, I don't know, I just do." He said like he was unsure about it. I love Declan to pieces. As a friend. He has a girlfriend. I mean I've known him for 3 years now.

"Ok. What part of it do you want to talk about?" Not like there were a whole bunch of different parts or anything, just a lot of details.

~FLASHBACK~

"Hey Dec you wanna go out to the cabin with us? It's just going to be us for most of the time because my parents are going to a family friends BBQ." I asked. My parents have a cabin on the beach in Miami, about twenty miles away from where we live.

"Sure we can watch that movie we've been wanting to see." He stated happily. Of course he wants to see that stupid movie. I told him I wanted to see it and when I did I regretted it. It turned out to be more of a chick flick than an action movie.

"You mean the movie you have been wanting to see? I already saw it and it sucked. Majorly." I said hoping he would give in. He always puts up a fight about everything, and I mean everything. He groaned and looked at me with his puppy dog eyes. I wouldn't give in this time, not even to my best friend.

"Come on Kenzi. For me?" He asked in a two year olds voice. Sometimes he gets really annoying. I swear. Why can't he just give up and see the stupid movie next weekend? This week we are going to do more of what I want to do than what he wants to do.

"Hurry up Dec we are gonna end up walking if we aren't in the car in five minutes!" I shouted at him. Dec is a last minute packer. He isn't ever ready early. I have bugged him about this trip for two days and he is just now packing.

"I'm coming! Give me a sec to get my stuff down the freaking stairs Kenzi." He doesn't sound to happy. I hope his attitude is better by the time we get to the cabin.

"Here give me some of your stuff." I said as I grabbed his duffel bag and backpack from him and started heading for the door. We are only going to be gone for a week. How much stuff does he need?

"Kenzi, your dad and I are going to head over to the Mackey's after we put our suitcases inside." My mom said as she went on about the rules. No answering the phone or the door. I'm not allowed to use the oven. Last time we were here I tried to make a corndog and it caught on fire.

"Ok do you want us to order in or are you going to be home for dinner? I asked. Who knows how long they could take. They might end up staying the night there.

"You guys better order in. Your mother and I have a lot to talk about. We haven't seen the Mackey's in almost two years." Dad said like he meant that we should order in for the rest of the week.

"Yes sir." Dec said suddenly bursting into laughter. All of us were laughing a couple of seconds later and I was starting to tear up.

"Alright guys get ALL of your stuff into the cabin and start unpacking. We will be back in a couple of hours." Mom said strictly. Dec looked at me and jumped out of the car. I quickly did the same. We grabbed our suitcases and made the short but long journey up the driveway.

"Ok where do you want to sleep? There is the master bedroom, but my parents called dibs on that. So there is my room and the twins room." I was secretly hoping he would pick the twins room so we could stay together.