Graduation Night

Dec's point of view

I pulled up into a parking space right outside of the food court. Kenzi has been silent the whole way here. I texted her mom and said to meet us outside Subway. We sat there for a minute or so, then got out of my car and headed towards the doors. Kenzi opened the door and we entered the flood of people. After about five minutes of walking in circles, we found Subway. Kenzi's mom showed up almost ten minutes later.

"Hey guys. Kenzi kinz where do you want to start?" Her mom asked. Kenzi just kind of stared into space. She always does that when she's thinking. It's so cute. We started walking around and went into countless stores. After about two hours of shopping, she finally found a dress she liked. It was teal and had a thin brown bow around the waist. And it had sparkles. Lots of them. After an overload of shoe shopping we finally left with the dress an a pair of sparkly silver heels.

"Hey mom. Can I have Jules do my hair for tonight?" She asked, acting like a little kid. When it comes to something important, Kenz's mom lets her do whatever she wants. Since I already told her about the plan this is going to be the best night of her life.

"Yes, if you want you can have her do your nails too." She said with a sigh. She may be prepping for a night to remember, but by her moms sigh, I could tell it will cost a fortune. Kenzi is an only child so she got pretty much whatever she wanted. She is a good girl though. Not one of those spoiled brats. She squealed and jumped into the drivers seat of my car. I chased after her and put her bags in the back seat.

"Hurry up! Get in and give me your keys." She yelled at me. When it comes to anything beauty wise, she sort of goes a little crazy. Especially when it comes to things like prom, and now graduation.

"You do know I can drive. Right? And that this is my car? " I asked her. She can just give me the directions. She doesn't have to take me everywhere I've never been. I actually have a pretty good sense of direction.

"Ya, ya, ya. Just give me the stupid keys already." She wined. Kenzi is getting really anxious. It's starting to get on my nerves. This kind of thing wouldn't usually bother me, but I'm really nervous about tonight.I handed her my keys and ran around the back of my bright red convertible. I jumped over the door and buckled myself in. When we turned out onto the highway I decided to ask where this"Jules" lady lives.

"Where are we going?" I asked. Kenzi looked at me and turned away. She reached for the button to turn on the stereo. Her favorite song came on and she sang through about half of it. She suddenly turned to face me.

"China," she said with a surprisingly straight face. I gave her a~come on tell me where we are actually going~look and she laughed.

"I'm kidding. Jules lives in Phoenix but she works in Tuscan. Since we are going to be after hours, so we are going to Phoenix." She said looking back at the road and singing again.

We were silent on the ride there. The frequent sound of cars rushing by and Kenzi singing at the top of her lungs were the only noises.

"Finally, we're here!" I shouted with a greatful sigh. We have been in the car for almost an hour and a half. It's only a forty-five minute drive, but with all the traffic it took us almost twice as long. Kenzi shut off the car and tossed my keys to me as we walked up to the door. I knocked on the door twice before it opened. A red headed lady that looked about forty greeted us with a smile.

"Hiya, Kenzi kinz! Long time, no see. What can I do for ya?" She asked. She had a very strong southern accent. After Kenzi answered she waved us in and asked if we wanted anything to drink. I nodded my head and she brought me a glass of water.

"You can stay in here if you want. Or you can come back with us." She said calmly. Her eyes were kind and she has had a smile on since we got here. I followed them back to a small room at the end of a long hallway. When I entered the room Jules waved Kenzi over to a cushioned swivel chair and she sat down.

"So, what do you want me to do with it?" She asked, scrunching up her face. She messed with her hair for while. Kenzi bit her bottom lip. She always does that too when she's thinking.

"Ummmmm...... Can you put it into like a ponytail and curl it?" She asked. I don't think Jules understood. She stood there and was thinking about it for a little bit.

"Like I do for those little girls?" She asked. Not even I knew what she was talking about. Sometimes Kenzi is unreadable. Most of the time I know exactly what she's talking about though.

"Ya. Like that!" She said excitedly. Oh great now my girl is going to look like on of those bratty, four year old, beauty queens. I hope no one else thinks the same thing. I just want her to look beautiful tonight. I hope she soon becomes Mrs. Declan Peterson. I highly doubt that's what she thinks is going on. Well.....at least I hope so. It only took about half an hour for her hair to be finished. She looked amazing.

"Hurry up. We need to go so we won't be late." I said as I tapped my hand gently on my knee. She seemed to be moving like a turtle today. Either that or my mind was racing. I took forever before she found the right amount of money out of her purse and handed it to her. I grabbed her hand and started running to the door.

"Thanks Jules!" She yelled after her. I opened the door and ran outside leaving it open. We jumped into my car and I tossed her the keys. Another squeal escaped her lips and I stared at her.

"Drive, we have two hours to be there." I growled at her. Her eyes got big and she jammed the keys into the ignition.

She backed out of the driveway and onto the small street. She shifted the gear and sped off towards the highway. This time the traffic had gone down and we made it in about 50 minutes. She pulled into her driveway and jumped out before tossing me my keys. I ran around the front and jumped into the drivers seat. As I reached my house I parked along the side of the street and left the keys in the ignition while I ran inside to get ready. I opened the door and ran up the stairs straight into my bedroom. I grabbed my tux from my closet and slipped it on. I slipped into my bathroom to fix up my hair. While I spiked it up with one hand, I used the other to get some gel and streak it through my hair. I swiped my phone and wallet from my bed and hopped down the stairs.

"Bye mom! See you in a little bit." I shouted to my mom while she was getting ready. I'm not going to let her drive me there like I'm a little kid. I graduating high school for Pete's sake. I mean it's not like I don't love my mom or anything, but she is way too overprotective. I jogged out to my car, thankfully still in the same spot I left it in, and started the engine. When I pulled into the school parking lot, Kenzi's car was already there. I pulled into the space next to her and grabbed my cap and gown. I ran through the gymnasium doors into the brightly lit room. I quickly scanned the room for my girlfriend and my eyes met hers instantly. She slipped off her heals and ran towards me. She jumped up into my arms and gave me one of her giant bear hugs.

"It took you long enough!" She smiled laying her forehead gently against mine. She planted a kiss on my lips and jumped down from my arms. She ran back to her friends with me being towed along after her. She jumped to a stop and slipped her heals on once again. She snuggled up against my side and pulled my arm around her shoulders.