Chapter Two

I woke up in a hospital room. The gentle beeping of the monitor soothed the fear in my heart. I saw a smiling face peeking around the corner as a nurse in a crisp, animated uniform walked my way. I stared at her, my face emotionless. I watched as she tightened a blood pressure cuff around my arm. I felt it tighten, then release. She chattered for awhile, then realizing that I had no intention of replying, was silenced.

The doctor stepped into my room with a grim expression. He was mumbling to a man standing beside him. When they saw me, their faces immediately tightened into a simpered smile.

"So, Merry, how are you feeling?"

My face didn't even look up.

"Merry, I need you to talk to me. I need to know that you are O.K.......please..."

"I'm fine."

The two men glanced at each other as they tried to question me further.

I looked up at them. According to their name tags, the taller man's name was Jim, the shorter one's name was John.

"Merry, you're not 'fine.' I need you to help me. You had a breakdown a few days ago."

"A few days ago? I wonder what day it is...."

"I said that I was fine."

"Merry......"

The shorter man, John, finally spoke up. "Are you dealing with anything stressful or....?"

"Can I use the restroom?" I said abruptly.

"Yes, you may."

I shakily rose and walked into the bathroom. I leaned into the sink and vomited. I stretched my arms to the sky and pleaded. I pleaded for help. I pleaded for mercy. I pleaded for strength. I pleaded for a second chance.

I had no idea who, or even what I was talking to. I was never religious....but... somehow... someway, I knew that there was something else out there. Some....'greater being' if you know what I mean.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I could see the scars from the glass that had shattered my soul. I could see the cuts streaking across my face. I could see the bandages stretching around my knuckles. I didn't understand... how....why...My thoughts were just so....confused. I reached for a paper towel to clean mouth off.

As I entered the room, the men's voices slowly faded away.

"Merry, I have been talking to a person who is highly educated in problems like yours. He thinks that it would be best to get you involved in some sort of group. There would be people like you there; people who could help you. "I don't need help! What does 'people like me' mean! There is nothing wrong with me! Please...just...leave me alone. I can take care of my own self."