Chapter 8

Unedited

Chapter 8

I woke up the morning of the ball expecting everyone to still be rushing around preparing. What I was met with in the grand foyer was the complete opposite. Everything for the ball was in place and there were no servants anywhere. I couldn't even find Martha. My breakfast had already been in my room when I woke so I hadn't seen her yet that day. I spent the morning wandering around the castle aimlessly. After lunch, I finally saw Martha for the first time that day only to have her drag me upstairs to get ready for the ball.

I was first bathed until I sparkled, then Martha set to doing my hair. She ended up pulling it up into a bun with various curled pieces framing my face. Then Rose was called in to help with my dress. Once I was dressed, I was allowed to look into the mirror. I was in awe. I looked beautiful and nothing like my usual self.

"Oh thank you Martha! Thank you Rose!" I exclaimed as I turned to the two women. I hugged them both and said, "Everything is wonderful." Then I paused and remembered the reason why I was dressed like this. "If only it weren't for the reason that it is." My smile fell, as well as Martha and Rose's.

"I hate to see you like this," Martha said. "I wish you had a choice, but somehow, things will get better. I know it."

I gave Martha a small smile. "Thank you. For everything."

Downstairs I could hear people gathering. I knew I would be called down soon, and I would have to face everyone, including Marcus. But at least I would soon learn if my dreams were true or not.

I looked between Martha and Rose one last time before walking to the door. I walked down the staircase and stopped at the top of the stairs of the grand foyer. When the guards saw me, they called out across the room, "Introducing, her royal highness, Crown Princess Annalise Marie Calfee!"

Everyone in the room turned to look at me. I slowly took one step down the stairs. As I kept walking, I glanced over the crowd. There on the right side of the staircase was two thrones with my mother and father each sitting in one. My mother was sitting very regally, wearing a deep purple gown and her hands folded on her lap. She held her head high while watching me enter. Her eyes seemed to tell me to be good tonight, and the golden crown on her head completed her. My father was very much the same. With his kind gray eyes and soft features, it looked like he could do no harm to anyone, but I knew better. He was also wearing a deep purple shirt and black pants. It looked strange on him though, unlike my mother. Standing to the side of them was Marcus. His eyes were cold and he stood very still and tall with his hands behind his back. He had dressed to match me, with a red shirt and black pants and boots. He watched me very intently as I entered.

I quickly looked away from his gaze, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of seeing me stare at him. I looked back across the crowd and met a pair of brown eyes. It was Dylan. He had cleaned up nicely, and was wearing a brown shirt that matched his eyes. He gave me a sweet, gentle smile as he watched along with everyone else. I continued to look at him as I finished descending the steps. I had given him my complete attention so much that when I reached the grand foyer, I didn't realize it until everyone started bowing. I blinked and turned my gaze to my parents and Marcus. They were still watching me, and my mother was silently telling me to pay attention to what was going on.

I walked up to the trio and curtsied to my parents before turning to Marcus. "Marcus," I said curtly.

"Princess," he said in the same tone with a smirk on his face as he bowed. He then took my hand and pulled me to stand beside him. He rested his hand on the small of my back, dangerously close to my bottom, and I had to resist the urge to stomp on his foot.

The musicians had started playing and some couples were out on the floor waltzing. As Marcus and I watched, he leaned down to my ear and whispered, "This is just one step closer to having you all mine." I looked up at him, disgusted when I saw a hungry-like look in his eyes. I shook my head and turned back to the dancing couples. Suddenly I remembered my dream. The first flash had come true, I had seen Dylan in the crowd. The second flash had also come true, I had given Marcus a disgusted look. The only flash left was of Dylan and I dancing.

Just then, my father stood up and tapped on the wine glass he was holding. "I would like to make a toast. To my lovely daughter and her fiancé, Marcus. I hope the best for you." He held up his glass to me before taking a sip. "Let the party continue."

********

A little bit of time later, I was being passed from man to man dancing. It was a tradition at every ball that an unmarried Royal dance with all of the unmarried opposite gender. This was the last time I was able to do this seeing as my wedding was in two weeks from today. I was currently dancing with some young man from one of the far out villages when someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around and saw Dylan.

"May I cut in?" he asked the man I was dancing with.

"Of course," the man told Dylan with a smile. He bowed to me and kissed my hand. "It was a pleasure to dance with you for the last time, Princess. I wish you best of luck in your marriage." Then he walked away and Dylan took his spot in front of me.

"Princess," he said, bowing. "I see that you are feeling better. That's good."

"Yes I am. Thank you for asking," I replied with a small smile. I set my left hand on his shoulder and clasped my right hand with his left. Dylan put his hand on my waist, holding me at a respectful distance. Suddenly, I felt an urge to tell him to hold me closer, but I quickly shook that thought out of head and began dancing with Dylan.

As we waltzed, we made small talk. "How have you been?" Dylan asked me.

"Perfectly well, thank you," I replied graciously. I wouldn't dare tell him about my real feelings about the marriage. If I told him, then I would have to make him forget, and I didn't want him to forget dancing with me. Instead I asked, "How have you and Marius been lately?"

"Oh, great. Marius gets more and more busier everyday, so my days have been very busy. But we are both grateful that we can help people." Dylan hesitated, like he wanted to say something else.

"Good, good." I paused, wanting to ask what was on his mind, but not wanting to intrude. Finally, I just decided to ask him. "Is there something on your mind? You looked troubled."

Dylan furrowed his brow, and took a deep breath. "Well, there is something I want to tell you." He looked around the room quickly before meeting my eyes. I nodded for him to continue. He leaned down next to my ear and whispered, "I know what you have been hiding. I remember."

I pulled away from him quickly, unbelieving. He couldn't remember. He looked straight into my eyes when I persuaded him. The only way he could was if he was a human, but if he was, then why was he a Healer's apprentice? It didn't add up. I quickly regained my composer so no one would think anything was wrong.

"I will tell you everything, but not here," he continued, speaking softly so no one could overhear. "If you want to know, meet me in the town square at noon tomorrow by the fountain." Dylan bowed then and kissed my hand. "Until then." Then he turned and walked away from me, disappearing into the crowd.

I was completely shocked. I hadn't expected those words to come out of his mouth. Now the question was, would I go see him tomorrow? I didn't have time to think about it then. I walked back over to stand by Marcus and stayed there the rest of the night.

So here's Chapter 8!!! Anyway, if you liked this comment, vote, and/or follow me!! And spread the word about TPATP!!

Dance like no one is watching!!

-Abigail :)