Chapter Five

Chapter Five

Ribbons of red and yellow twirled and fluttered through the bustling market streets. Along the edges of the streets were stalls selling unique and unusual objects. The afternoon was filled with loud, chattering voices and the excited squeals of children.

Gazing around the market place, Thyatira couldn’t conceal the glow of happiness that emanated off her. The engagement announcement had run smoothly. The kingdom’s joy at the news was almost palpable. Throughout the announcement, Nadir had kept a firm, possessive arm around her waist and Thyatira had to admit to herself that it did feel good being in his arms.

Celebrations in Nadir and Thyatira’s honour had immediately commenced after the announcement. Dashing out of the castle at her first opportunity, Thyatira was a bit disappointed that Nadir couldn’t join her. He’d had some business to attend to with her father, but he’d vowed to make it up to her later.

“Mother! Look! It’s the princess!” A young Tephra girl squealed, her little insect wings fluttered excitedly as she tugged on her mother’s hand. The women gave her daughter a patient smile.

“We mustn’t bother her, Sweetheart. She’s a very busy lady.” Her mother explained, slowly.

Overhearing the conversation between the two Tephra’s, Thyatira smiled to herself slightly. The children always grew excited when they spotted her. Thyatira glided over to the Tephra girl with the grace that only a Kitsune could achieve. Seeing the surprised look on the mother face, Thyatira smiled again and kneeled in front of the Tephra girl so they were at eye level.

“What is your name?” Thyatira asked softly.

“Ananarah!” The Tephra girl blurted out, grabbing a hold of Thyatira’s hand which earned her a disapproving look from her mother.

“I’m sorry for my daughter’s actions.” Ananarah’s mother apologised, “She didn’t mean to be disrespectful.” Slowly, Ananarah released her grip on the princess’s hand. Worry spread across the little Tephra’s angelic face.

“It is quite alright. I’m used to being around children.” Thyatira waved off the apology, but Ananarah still had the worry clouding her face. Plucking the red rose out of her auburn curls, Thyatira held it out to Ananarah.

“For me?” The little girl asked, gazing at the princess with wide eyes. All of the worry had been chased away by the excitement of the rose.

Nodding, Thyatira tucked the rose blossom behind the little Tephra’s ear which earned her a very joyous hug from the little girl. Ananarah’s mother gave her an apologetic look, but Thyatira just smiled at her and carefully detached the little girl from her waist before standing up.  

“Thank you!” Ananarah cried happily, as if remembering her manners.

“You’re welcome, Ananarah”. Thyatira replied, glancing back towards the festivities in the market place. Catching the princess’s gaze, Ananarah’s mother placed a hand on her daughters shoulder.

“Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to Ananarah, it’s meant the world to her.” She told her gratefully.

“It has been my pleasure; it’s nice to make new friends.” Thyatira smiled at Ananarah who squirmed with excitement at being called the princess’s friend. Grabbing onto her daughters hand, Ananarah’s mother bade Thyatira farewell and had to do some coaxing to get her daughter away from the princess.

Turning back to the excitement and energy of the market place, Thyatira immersed herself in the frivolities’. Frequently, she would be stopped and given well wishes from the Kitsunes, Tephras and Amaryls.  All the races except for the Whispers mingled together happily throughout the kingdom.