Chapter One

Chapter One

The last of the sun’s yellow rays of sparkling light were chased away by the nights darting shadows. The crescent moon began its ascent into the darkening sky while bright, twinkling stars guided its journey. The looming oak trees of Jerawah Forest stretched towards the night sky as if their branches were trying to reach out and snatch a star.

Two figures strolled leisurely through Jerawah forest.  The only sounds that disturbed the silence of the night air were the crackle of sticks and snap of branches as the pair pushed their way through the oak trees.

“Where could you possibly be taking me at this hour?” The Kitsune princess, Thyatira groaned.

Dark auburn ringlets messily tumbled down her back. Pesky branches kept snagging at her tresses, pulling and tugging at pieces of her hair. Two little fox ears peeked out of the crown of her head and a bushy tail, the same shade of auburn as her hair, curled up her back from her tail bone.

Thyatira was the only heir to the throne and belonged to the Kitsune family. The Kitsune’s possessed the ability to transform into a fox at will. Her family ruled over all four races that dwelled on this side of the Drogue Mountains; the Tephras, the Whispers, the Amaryls and the other Kitsunes. It was her father’s job, King Andric, to make the land a prosperous, safe and a peaceful place for all the races to live together, although, not all were treated equally.  

A soft breeze whistled through the trees; it was enough to make Thyatira shiver in the thin, open-backed summer dress she’d thrown on when Nadir had shown up outside her window, begging her to join him on an adventure. Taking one look at his big, sapphire blue eyes and his messy blonde hair that fell just above his shoulders, Thyatira knew there was no way she could say no to him.

“It’s a surprise.” Nadir grinned at her. Resisting the urge to roll her eyes at him, Thyatira nudged him in the shoulder. ‘He knows how much I hate surprises,’ she thought bitterly.

Ever since they were just young kids Nadir had been able to convince Thyatira to join him in all sorts of mischief. He was always getting her in trouble, but her mother and father were never really mad at her. They would give her a lecture, but she caught them giving each other knowing looks.

“We’re here” Nadir told Thyatira, excitement filling his voice.

‘Where is here?’ She wondered bitterly, looking around at the same scenery she’d seen for the last ten minutes. A curtain of ivy grew between two trees, creating what appeared to be a doorway. ‘It must be through there.’

Flashing a mischievous grin at her, Nadir grabbed a handful of the ivy and pulled it out of the way, gesturing with his other hand for Thyatira to go in ahead of him.

Stepping through the ivy, Thyatira’s nose was assaulted by the overwhelming scents of violets, freesias and chrysanthemums. Bright colours of purple, white and red jumped out at her. A small stream flowed steadily, cascading over the rocks and spilling into a crystalline lake. Water lillies bobbed on the flat surface and she could hear the faint sound of a frog croaking in the distance.

Littered through the green grass amongst the flowers were little red and white mushrooms. Small yellow lights seemed to bob in the air. Examining them closer Thyatira discovered that they were fireflies, their light reflected off the lakes surface, illuminating the glade in streaks of yellow.

“It’s beautiful!” Thyatira exclaimed, glancing around with wide eyes. “How did you find this place?”

“I found it a week ago while I was out running as a fox. Although I had a Whisper plant the flowers here this morning. I wanted it to look as perfect as you.” Nadir explained softly, glancing at her into her moss green eyes.

‘A Whisper planted these flowers?’ Thyatira glanced around the glade again, this time more nervously as if she expected something to jump out at her. ‘Don’t be silly.’ She scolded herself, ‘The Whisper is long gone now and you should be used to their presence. One does live in your castle,’ Thyatira reminded herself, shaking off her fears.

“Why would you have these flowers planted here?” Thyatira inquired curiously, trying to distract herself from her thoughts.

“I knew they were your favourite flowers and I wanted this moment to be beautiful and memorable,” Nadir began, grabbing a hold of her gaze. “There’s something I would like to ask you.”

Concern spread across Thyatira’s heart shaped face. Out of all the years she’d known Nadir, she’d never heard him sound so serious. ‘This must be important,’ she thought, pondering what it could be. ‘I hope he isn’t in any kind of trouble.’

Taking her little hand inside of his large one, Nadir led Thyatira over to the crystalline lake. Inhaling a few deep breaths, Nadir snagged her green-eyed gaze again. Keeping eye contact, Nadir dropped down on one knee.

“Princess Thyatira, Daughter of the ruler King Andric, will you do me the honour of becoming my wife?” Nadir asked her, confidence filling his sapphire eyes as if he already knew her answer.

Freezing in shock, Thyatira considered his question. It had always been assumed that they would get married one day. People that she would pass in the market place would ask her about Nadir, giving her knowing looks. It was something that has always been expected of them.

‘Do I love him?’ Thyatira asked herself, peeking back at the blonde-haired Kitsune before her. ‘Of course I love him. I would do anything for him.’ She reassured herself, but something didn’t feel right.

“Yes, I will marry you Nadir.” Thyatira heard herself saying, the doubts still twisted through her stomach but she tried to push them away. Flashing her a grin, Nadir stood and took her into his arms.

“I knew you would say yes, you could never resist my charm.” Laughing, Thyatira softly nudged him in the shoulder; she could feel her doubts begin to melt away.

Things had always been easy with Nadir, he would make her happy. ‘The kingdom will rejoice at the news,’ Thyatira thought happily. “Maybe the Tephra’s and Amaryl’s will perform in the markets again.’ Thyatira had always loved watching the other two races use their abilities to create intriguing performances. Sometimes they’d even let her join in.

“We should be getting back to the castle.” Nadir suggested. “The moon is high in the sky and you need some sleep before we announce our engagement tomorrow.” Sighing, Thyatira felt sad to be leaving the beautiful glade so soon, but she knew Nadir was right.

“Hey, we can come back another time.” Nadir told her, seeing her sad look. “It’s not going to disappear.” Smiling, Thyatira nodded at him.

“I bet I’ll beat you back to the castle.” Thyatira grinned at him. A twinkle shone in her moss green eyes.

“You haven’t beaten me yet.” Nadir laughed at the challenge.

“I will this time.” Thyatira told him sincerely. Turning her back on him, she dashed into the oak trees of Jerawah forest.

**~~** Do you think Thyatira should've listened to her doubts? Why is she scared of the idea of being around Whispers? Remember to vote and comment! **~~**