Chapter Fourteen

Robin

The hospital is quiet at night.

At least, it is in this wing.

The wing of dying kids.

And I can't sleep.

Which is funny in a strange sort of way, because the doctors said I'd sleep a lot now and I've slept all day.

Actually, now that I think about it, that's probably why I can't sleep now. It was like that at home, when I would sleep until noon on weekends and then not be able to sleep at night.

There's a telly in my hospital room, but it won't turn on past midnight, and it's 1:30 now.

They don't want us cancer kids staying awake all night.

I reach for my phone, and send a text to Niall.

Me: u awake?

I get a text back quickly.

Niall <3: not rly. ima come ovr tmrw 4 u, k? get sleep, luv u.

Me: k. pls save me. Luv u 2 =)

I settle back down, trying to get to sleep.

The faster I fall asleep, the faster I can see Niall.

-

“You treat Ava like a princess and me like a slave!” I shout. “Did you ever love me?” I know yelling at her won't help, but it's the best I can do.

“I didn't even want you” Mum says disinterestedly. She's too busy reading the paper to listen to me yelling. She was too busy reading the paper to come and get me from school, and I walked home, and got hit by a car, and she was too busy reading the paper to drive me to the hospital, and she was too busy reading the paper to come get me from the hospital three days later, and now she's too busy reading the paper to call the school and tell them my absence was excused. So my dad had to do it all when she wasn't even home.

“Right” I hiss. “You screwed up and now you're taking it out on me.”

“It's your fault” she replies, still not looking at me.

“You're the one that had sex when you were 16” I say. “I didn't make that happen. I wasn't even born. Until nine months later.”