Chapter Thirteen

Callin

We pull into the parking lot, and Paul stops the car. Zayn opens the door on his side, and Liam looks to me, but I don't pull on the handle.

I don't want to go.

“Callin” Liam says slowly.

I pull the handle and push the door open before he can say anything else.

I don't want his pity.

Paul and Zayn have my bags already, so there's nothing for me to do with my hands but fiddle with the hem of my shirt.

Before I can tear a hole in the fabric, Liam's hand finds mine, tearing it away from my shirt. I cling to him for dear life.

“You'll be okay” he whispers in my ear. “Don't worry.”

We follow Paul and Zayn through glass double doors, and into a pretty posh lobby. Comfy chairs and couches, coffee tables with magazines and brochures. It's all designed to make me feel comfortable and it's not working.

Especially because of the other people.

There's a family here, parents and a child.

A boy.

He's crying, clinging to his mother, tears streaming down his cheeks and his face red. He's terrified.

He looks about twelve.

How could simple furniture calm me down?

Paul leads us past them, to the desk. I notice the silliest things, the dark brown colour of the wood, the scratch marks in the finish. It's been used a lot. It's old, but dignified. Comfortable. The pen is chained to it.

“Hello, sir” says the woman sitting at the desk. I hadn't even noticed her, I was too busy staring at the desk and the pen. “Checking in?” There's a computer there, too, pretty high-tech. New. Of course, only the best for the friend of the famous boy band. This place is fancy. I'm not used to fancy. I'm used to rundown old foster homes, and the modest home my parents died in.

“Callin Baines” Paul says.

“Psych, brain injury, or addiction?” the woman asks.

I blink.

I thought this place was just for brain injuries.

“Brain injury”” Paul says.

The receptionist does something on the computer, and then looks back at us and nods.

“A nurse will be right with you” she says. “Feel free to have a seat.”