Chapter 5

I'm pretty sure that I say exact same thing for the beginning of every chapter.... oh, whatever.  Dedicated to everyone who fanned, voted, and commented!!!!  Seriously, you guys are the best!!!!!!  One look at all the emails in my inbox just makes me smile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you all so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chapter 5:

Ashlynn POV

I walked out of my room, yawning, quietly closing the door behind me, stretching my arms back and rubbing furiously at my droopy eyelids.  I had had a good sleep, but woke up when a very loud feminine voice echoed through the whole house shouting, "DINNER!!"

I walked down the hallway, wondering if I would be allowed to eat dinner with everyone else.  I felt a little weird, as if I would be barging in on something that didn't involve me.  I sighed, running a hand through my disheveled hair.  Suddenly, I stopped, a wave of panic washing over me.  What if they shunned me like my old pack because of how weak and pathetic I was?

I leaned on the wall nearby and nervously shuffled from my right foot to my left.  Would I go down to dinner, or would I not?  If I went down, there would always be the chance that-

A little figure shot past me, squealing and giggling, her little feet racing down the stairs as fast as she could.  A loud laugh followed and I turned just in time to see a sight I never thought I would see.  Derek was running, a big smile on his face, his eyes shining with love, but all that was quickly replaced with a blank mask when he saw me.

It was as if his face had an on and off switch for emotions.  He really was good at masking his emotions, it was probably a pretty useful skill.  I wish I could be able to do that, maybe then, my old pack wouldn't be able to see how weak I was by the looks of hurt and pain that tended to cross my face all the time.

Derek glared at me, nothing new there, "You're still here, rogue?  Go back to where you belong,"

I took a deep breath before calmly looking into Derek's dark eyes, "I belong here now," I steadily told him, my face calm, though the erratic beating of my heart was telling me otherwise.

"Like hell you do," Derek snarled, "You're a rogue, you belong with other lonely filthy scums, not with a pack,"

I was starting to get scared, but I forced myself to calm down.  Derek wanted to scare me right now, so I couldn't let it show that he was getting to me.  I decided to test out Paul, or well, Nick's theory as I took a cautious step towards Derek, "How am I any different than you?" I asked, my voice a little shaky but still strong.

Derek looked at me disbelievingly, and for once second, I felt incredibly stupid, but I quickly shook that feeling away, "How are you any different from me?" Derek slowly dragged out each word, and continued looking at me like I was some crazy and insane person.

"Yeah, what is the difference between you and me?  You may be stronger and a better fighter and all that stuff, but we're both still werewolves," I said, still feeling kind of shaky, but knowing that I had to get this across and into Derek's stubborn head.

Derek shook his head, "Did Nick tell you that crap?  Because trust me, there's a big difference between you and me,"

"Paul told me," I replied.

His eyes flashed, "Paul told you that?  He told you, a rogue?" Derek growled.

"What?  What does this have to do with Paul?' I asked, confused.

Derek sighed, "You really don't know what you rogues and hunters do, do you?  Everyone has lost so much because of you rogues and hunters.  It's pathetic really, how our own kind can team up with people who are trying to kill our kind.  Paul's mate tried to kill herself because her family was killed of by rogues and hunters.  But she didn't even get to do that.  Rogues and hunters attacked her.  From waist down, she's paralyzed.  She can't walk, she's dying right now because she won't accept food or water or anything," Derek's eyes filled with pain.