Chapter 23

Hey guys!  I realized that I made a little mistake in the last chapter.  The little girl's name is not Isabella, but Jenny.  Sorry about that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dedicated to people who have sad memories.

Chapter 23

Ashlynn POV

*Flashback*

"Here," Xavier said quickly, shoving a humongous bouquet of flowers into my arms, before stepping away, a light pink tinge to his ears.

I blushed, seeing the beautiful array of pink and blue forget-me-nots, my favorite kind of flower, "W-what's this?" I asked, my voice shaking a little.

Xavier scraped the ground with his foot, not meeting my eyes.  "Well," he began awkwardly, "It's your 11th birthday, right?"

I started, "Wow, thank you so much, but-"

Xavier interrupted, "Don't misunderstand or anything.  It's not like I like you anything.  It's just that..." he trailed off before finally finishing lamely, "Shay forced me, so, whatever," 

"But, um-" I tried again.

Once again, Xavier gave me no chance to talk, only saying what he had to say, "I already said that it wasn't my idea to give the flowers, so don't get all-"

This time, I was the one who interrupted, "Um, my birthday's tomorrow..." I trailed off, seeing the gobsmacked look that fell upon Xavier's face.

A second passed, then another.  And another.  I couldn't even begin to describe how awkward I felt, and how embarrassed Xavier must have felt.  "I..." Xavier started, but he couldn't seem to get any other words out of his mouth.  His eyes blinked rapidly, and it was as if the impact of what had just happened hadn't hit him yet.

After a while, Xavier made single sound, "Oh," He shifted around before saying, "Well, I'll just get going," He quickly sprinted away, leaving me standing there, a beautiful bouquet in my arms.  

Finally, I couldn't hold my laughter back, remembering the way Xavier was tricked so easily.  Today was actually my birthday, but Xavier didn't need to know that right now.  He would, eventually, and he'd probably be extremely furious and embarrassed, but he would get over it.

Smiling, I turned away, walking away myself, but I would always remember the little blue bench that was hidden in the back of the school, because that place held so many beautiful memories, including what had happened today.  Under the soft sunlight of spring, I had gotten a bouquet of forget-me-nots from the guy I had been crushing on since forever.  No one else would know, for the only witness of this scene was that little blue bench.

I buried my nose in the wonderful scent of the forget-me-nots, quietly giggling to myself at Xavier and his dumb excuses as to why he gave me a bouquet of flowers.  My footsteps were light as they touched the ground, dancing across the hard concrete.

Thank you, Xavier.

*Flashback End*

Now that I think about it, there had been a time when Xavier had made me blush, when he had made me laugh.  

There had been a very blissful time when he had made me happy.

But as I stared into those confused electric blue orbs, the only times I could remember were the times I had been thrown aside like trash, the times where I had been covered with bruises and scratches, and the times when I had curled up in a ball in my small room, starving with hunger.