Chapter 1: I meet a British Baron. From the 1400s.

Casey's POV

I dislike having to deal with all supernaturals. I've never met one that wasn't ignorant, arrogant, and extremely dangerous. But if given a choice, I'd usually choose ghosts to deal with. There are three reasons for this. One, ghosts usually haven't heard of us paranormals, so when they first meet us,  they are terrified. Secondly, they tend to be a lot less arrogant than the other creatures I have to deal with. Ghosts are only one slot up from the bottom of the food chain here in the supernatural world, and they know it. Finally, ghosts are much less dangerous than all the others. All of this combined makes it much more likely I will get out of an altercation with a ghost unharmed, or at least without many broken bones.

Unfortunately, I am at the bottom of the supernatural food chain. I am also the number one enemy of every breed above me. Some ghosts are aware of this fact, and make my job very difficult. This ghost was one of them.

"I will tell you this one more time. You. Need. To. Stop. The police are completely confused, but sooner or later they will find a scapegoat, and he or she will go to jail for your actions. And I'm not about to let that happen."

"Let me think." The ghost taps his chin thoughtfully. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to say no to that, my dear maiden. You see, I've become rather attached to this place."

The place in question was a cemetery. Headstones were being smashed to pieces by this particularly vengeful ghost. I had done my research, and had discovered why. This guys was some baron from the 15th century, and his brother, who had murdered him for his fortune, was buried here, and this ghost had recently found out. That's when the problems started. You'd think after a few hundred years, these feuds would be forgotten, but the supernatural are extraordinarily petty.

I sigh in frustration. "I don't have time for this. I get that your brother is a major asshat, and that you're a little upset with him, but this is ridiculous. Aren't you high-class barons supposed to have manners? These are other people's final resting places you're destroying."

"They are insignificant. I won't rest in peace until I get revenge. Therefore, I am not leaving. I suggest that you get home, little girl. And don't return."

He had me pissed off at the insignificant comment. But it was only at the little girl part that I decided to force him out. I kept my temper in check long enough to say, "Fine. Have it your way." Then I came at him, punching him square in the face.

He recovered from his shock quicker than I thought he would. Grabbing my wrist, he summoned enough force to slam me into a large crypt a few yards away. My vision blurred as my head hit the cold stone behind me.When i looked up, he was in the process of materializing in front of me. I smiled slightly. Little did he know, two could play at that game.

I had a skill I called linking.  All it meant was that I could go anywhere in the world...in the blink of an eye. It was very similar to a ghost disappearing and then materializing. I literally thought about where I wanted to go, and I was there. All paranormals have more strength and speed than normal humans, but none had ever had any special powers, that we knew of. I could link anywhere, at any distance, and I could bring people along with me. They simply had to be in contact with my skin. It was a very useful skill to have, and it was about to blow this ghosts mind.

I linked to a point behind him, and karate-chopped him over the head. His confused look quickly turned to one of pain, and he let out a soft moan, turning to try and kick at me. I deflected it easily and launched a few punches of my own.

The baron knew he was losing, and tried to dematerialize. Rolling my eyes, I tackled him before he could go anywhere. Unlike me, ghosts can't materialize with somebody hanging on to them. "I would think a baron would be less of a coward," I said, keeping him trapped underneath me.