Chapter 11: Bloodtrails and Lamborginis

Quick A/N: I'm so sorry for the delay in posting this one! Trust I had a good excuse. Enjoy!

Laughing, I sped down the interstate at 180 miles per hour. I was free.

Yeah, you heard that right. I'm aware I probably shouldn't be driving that fast, but in a car like this, you have too. When I opened Nate's garage, I certainly did not expect to find a Lamborghini, but there it was, sitting there in the best stroke of luck I'd had in a while. Driving this thing was sick, and I was sold. As far as I was concerned, I was the new owner. What's mine is yours, right?

Nevertheless, the registration papers in the glovebox told a different tale, and I was going to have to ditch the car somewhere so that I could link. Reluctantly, I slowed up. Getting stopped by a cop in a car that wasn't mine was not going to make a good impression.

But in order to leave the car, I first had to figure out where I was. I had been driving down the highway aimlessly, speeding through rural area and hoping I was going the right direction. I didn't have a clue where I was. I turned on the GPS.

Instantly, a map popped up, and after a moment, a little glowing blue dot informed me that I was currently speeding north along the coast of Southern California. Huh.

I clicked on the "Take Me Home" button, and the GPS asked me to confirm an address in Del Mar, California. Interesting. How did Nate get me from my house to California in such a short time? He must have flown, but how could he get me on a plane without anybody noticing that something was wrong? The only possible solution was that he had a private jet. Judging by the house and the car, that was certainly possible.

Regardless of how much money Nate might have, I still wasn't going back. I had to go home and get back to my family. The realization that I might never see him again hit me suddenly, and I felt a sharp tug in my chest at the idea. Putting my hand to my heart, I allowed myself a second of sadness before steeling myself. I had a duty to my family, and I couldn't forget that, mate bond or not.

To distract myself, I reached over to the car's sleek console and turned on the radio. Immediately, jazz filled the car. Nice music, but not what I was in the mood for. I switched the radio to pop, and sat back. Much better.

I needed to decide where I was going. I didn't have many options. I had no money, and I couldn't link anywhere until my arm healed and I got some rest. Right now, I felt like a walking zombie, and I wasn't sure I could link to someplace 5 minutes away, let alone home. Flying  wasn't an option either, unless I could find somebody who was crazy enough to buy a Lamborghini without asking too many questions.

Thinking hard, I almost laughed out loud when the obvious solution came to me. I could go to Ben's. I wasn't sure if he was there or not, but I knew where he kept his spare key. I wasn't far away, only about an hour and 45 minutes without traffic, and as far as I knew, Nate had no clue where Ben lived.

Programming the GPS to Ben's address, I forced myself to smile. This pain would go away in time, and both Nate and I would recognize that we couldn't be together. That was the way life worked, wasn't it?

Nate's POV

Red.

That's what I saw everywhere. In the bloodstains on my laundry, in the absence of my Lamborghini, and, most of all, in my current mood.

Clenching my hands into fists, I watched as two maids desperately scrubbed at the grout in between the tiles of my bathroom, trying to remove Casey's blood. Turning abruptly, I left them to their frantic cleaning and exited the room.

Sitting on the white leather couch that dominated my living room, I stared out at the sea and allowed the question that had haunted me for the last two hours to return. Why would she leave?

That I knew of, I hadn't offended her, or hurt her in any way. Granted, I suppose kidnapping her wasn't exactly the right way to go about getting her here, but I had thought that once she arrived she would be willing to stay.

Sighing, I unlocked my phone and opened the app that kept tabs on the GPS systems of all of my cars. Casey was currently heading up I-5, towards Los Angeles. As tempted as I was to head after her as soon as she left, I had calmed myself by keeping tabs on her location. I figured she wouldn't appreciate an angry vampire storming after her.

For now, I would let her think that her little escape worked.

Maybe she just needed some time.

A/N: Yeah, I know. I suck. How could I leave you guys hanging for three months?

One word. College.

As a senior in high school, I'm currently applying to multiple colleges for next fall, and the million essays that I had to write have kept me very busy outside of school. I'm through my applications now, but I'm still working on financial aid and scholarships, so I really have very limited free time. I have a long weekend because of Martin Luther King Day, so that's why I'm updating now. I promise I will try to keep updating, but don't be surprised if it takes a little while!

Also, Nate's POV! Hopefully that makes up for the wait and the fact that this chapter is so short!

Remember to vote and comment, and thanks for reading!!!

-t_pearson