12. Queen of Standing Her Ground

"Pack your things; we're leaving," James said brusquely.

I groaned, balling my hands into fists. "You wasted your time coming here. I'm fine!"

I was better than fine. My successful magic session had given me a sense of pride and accomplishment that I hadn't felt in ages. Not since I found out I'd been accepted into the competition had I felt this good. I couldn't just turn my back on that and let James drag me back to the North.

James was unconvinced, leveling a hard look my way. "I'm not letting you get involved with the Sinclair family's nonsense. Their generational pissing contest is one thing, but this is too far," he paused, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "How'd you even find out about witchcraft anyway?"

I bit my lip, unsure of how to proceed. He couldn't know the truth, but I couldn't think of a convincing lie that would make him drop the matter. So I put on my big, innocent doe-eyes.

"James," I said softly, "I can't leave."

James arched a brow. "Is it a boy?"

My face lit up. He'd just handed me a lifeline. "Yes! His name's Tristan and I'm supposed to meet him in an hour."

James blanched and I couldn't tell whether it was because he recognized Tristan's name or because he was just that surprised that I was acting starry-eyed over a guy — something I'd never, ever done. He shook off his alarm and narrowed his eyes skeptically. "He'll live and you'll live without him. Now come on."

"James!" I protested. "You can't just make me stand him up!" It was a weak line of reasoning and there was no way James would buy it, but it was the last straw I could grasp so I had to try it.

He crossed his arms, face scrunched in suspicion. "Now, when has that ever been a problem for you?"

Damn it, he knew me too well. Curse him for being the only person I knew who actually took interest in my personal life.

"He's different!" I tried, belatedly realizing that it made me look absolutely pathetic. Granted, there was a hint of truth to it. Tristan had been unlike any of the previous men I'd been with. The fact that I actually didn't mind seeing him again was testament to that.

James saw through the poor attempt and snickered. "Kitten, I know you've never met a man who wasn't expendable to you." He came closer then, looking me straight in the eyes. "So what is it really?"

Crossing my arms, I scowled at him. "I've already told you I don't want to go."

"Why not?"

"My parents." A different lie.

"You don't have to stay with them."

I grimaced, wanting to kick him. He really wasn't making this easy.

"I like it here. I've made friends," I said, hoping I sounded earnest.

"Who, the Sinclair children? They're nasty little vipers, all of them!" James said, his tone laced with venom. "I let you come here because I thought you could handle it but now you've gotten yourself involved in witchcraft."

I was curious whether his 'nasty little vipers' comment applied to Tristan, but I couldn't ask that now. Instead, I crossed my arms defiantly. "You're a vampire. Why should that worry you?"

James paused, his expression unreadable. I cocked my head knowingly, challenging him to elaborate on whatever had him so bothered.

James was not so easily swayed. "I'll explain once you come with me."

He wouldn't. He'd use it as bait to drag me out of here and refuse to speak of the subject ever again. I wouldn't fall for it, and the fact that he expected me to fall for it made me want to storm out of the room. Of course, James's vampiric strength and speed ensured that I wouldn't be able to get very far.