9. Queen of Fashion Victims

Witchcraft had its benefits. The most obvious was the immeasurable power that I was just learning how to tap into. But there were other, more subtle things.

After I finished buying a dress for my upcoming double date, I called for a taxi to take me back to my hotel room. A cigarette break would have been the perfect way to pass the time, but the second the cigarette met my lips, I sputtered and gagged. Suddenly, the comforting taste of nicotine was disgusting.

The revelation actually made me burst out laughing. Screw patches and gum. If you ever need to quit, just sell your soul to the devil. Or whatever it was I did.

One drawback of having these new powers was a profound sense of impatience. Why bother physically doing something when it was possible to simply will it into existence with magic? But I wasn't at that level yet, and staring into the mirror and wishing makeup would miraculously appear on my face without any effort proved to be a fruitless endeavor. Eventually I gave up and applied my eyeshadow with a brush like a peasant, longing for the days when I'd no longer have to.

My phone buzzed with a text from Tristan, telling me that his car was outside. Sighing, I put it away and examined myself in the mirror. I looked fantastic, which was a given. I was gorgeous and had a killer figure, which was greatly helped by the sleek red cocktail dress I wore. But now I had a visible glow that wasn't there before. It accentuated my features in a way no makeup ever had. Another witchy perk?

The necklace Daphne had given me lay strewn on the bed unceremoniously. I had put it on and taken it off a dozen times. On one hand, I should probably be safe and wear it. On the other hand, it was hideous. My dress was off-shoulder, so anything I put on my neck would be prominently highlighted. And I couldn't very well pair a classy looking dress with a cheap thrift store trinket.

My phone buzzed again. Tristan was probably tired of waiting. Sighing, I left the necklace where it was, opting to put on my favorite platinum chain.

Tristan stood leaning against the side of his black car, absently scrolling through his phone. When he saw me approach, he actually did a double take. I grinned and posed, allowing him time to take in the sight of me.

"Wow," he said breathlessly.

"I know."

Tristan shook himself out of his daze and rushed to open the door for me. The chauffeur saluted me as I slid into the back seat.

"So, are you feeling better?" Tristan asked after he joined me.

"I'll be OK," I replied.

The truth was I felt great. My newfound power was exhilarating. With a bit of practice, I could probably conquer the world.

"So who's Alexis's date?" I asked after a drawn out silence.

Tristan shrugged. "I don't really follow her personal life. Honestly, I'd rather spend the evening with just you. But since the two of you are friends, I don't want to keep you from spending time together."

That was... a nice sentiment. However, Alexis and I were hardly friends. More like accomplices. Former, seeing as I was working for Daphne now. But I couldn't very well tell Tristan that.

"We'll have time to be alone later," I smiled, putting a hand on his knee.

"Oh really?" Tristan whispered, trying and failing to put on an air of nonchalance. He made a show of clearing his throat and leaning casually against the seat, his arm draped around my shoulders.

"You're such a dork," I snickered, shaking my head. Then, in a move that surprised even myself, I leaned over and kissed him.

 Then, in a move that surprised even myself, I leaned over and kissed him