Chapter 3

*Rayne*

Rayne sat on the balcony gazing down into the beautiful garden below her. There were too many colors to count, even if she tried she would never be able to. This had always been her home and she never wanted to leave it. She lifted the small mirror in her lap and gazed into it adjusting her golden blonde hair. She fixed the sparkling combs in her hair, her midnight blue eyes also sparkled in the fading light. She set down the mirror and stood letting her pale blue dress cascade down to the floor.

She tossed her hair over her shoulder and walked to the edge of the balcony, she leaned against it with a sigh. The sky was darkening on the last day of her being here in this house, here at home. The sound of footsteps tore her away from her thoughts. A maid hurried up the steps with a giddy smile on her face. She had flowers behind her back; she looked like she was trying to conceal them. Rayne entered the balcony door and pulled it closed behind her.

"Maggie, What is it?" She knew these flowers were probably from Lucas her betrothed.

"Lucas just dropped off these flowers for you, m'lady" She pulled the yellow poppies from behind her back. Rayne hated yellow, and she also disliked poppies.

"Very well, set them on the table with the others" She pointed to the endless amounts of flowers her betrothed had sent her. She sat on her bed messing with her skirt absentmindedly. Maggie took her silence as a cue to leave and made her exit without another word. A soft subtle knock on the balcony door made her rise to her feet once more. A blush rose to her face and rushed to the door. She flung it wide open and her heartbeat crescendoed. Blue Violets and a wide smile greeted her.

"Rayne," The man behind the smile said with a voice like honey. To her his smile was perfect, perhaps a little lopsided but perfect all the same. His branded armor shone in the dull light, but so did his stark black hair.

"Nero!" she giggled, unable to contain herself. She threw her arms around him. A shook from his chest and vibrated against her ear. He drew her into his arms ushering her inside. She pressed her face into his neck breathing in his wonderfull leathery scent.

"I hope you like the Violets." He said but his deep brown gaze was not on her any longer. It was on the mass of yellow poppies across the room. She covered her mouth with her hand holding in yet another laugh.

"You know they are my favorite" She covered her smile and looked back up at him warmly. His smile returned and this time it reached his eyes.

"I have missed you so, my beautiful Violet." he leaned and kissed the hand she had over her mouth second ago. She giggled once more.

"And I have missed you as much. My White Knight" She kissed his cheek, continuing to beam. She found she was only truly happy when he came to visit. She took the flowers to the other side of the room, and grabbed the vase full of poppies. She dumped the ghastly flowers them onto the floor before setting the violets in their place.

It donned on her then that this was such a bitter sweet visit. Nero had no idea she was leaving tomorrow. That she would be wed tomorrow eve. She would never see him again. Tears burned in her eyes as she set the vase back down.

"What is wrong Rayne?" He took her hand so she would have to look at him. Instead she turned her head away. His thumb grazed her cheek, wiping the tear from its place. He cupped her chin in his strong hand and upturned her face to him. "You can tell me anything, Love. You know that."

"I know." Her voice was bearly above a whisper as she tryed to blink away the tears. She pulled away from him. Her eyes landed on the violet once more. They were almost the same color as her eyes. She sniffled and she could hear him swallow. "I am leaving tomorrow and I may never..." her vision blurred. "I'm never going to see you again." Tears streamed down her face as she hugged herself tightly. He wrapped his arms around her own, pulling her into his chest. His chin rested on her shoulder as he spoke soothingly to her.

"It will be alright, we will find a way...we have always found ways round this before." She smiled a little as he planted a kiss on her cheek.

"I do not wish to go, I want to stay here....with you. Where I belong." She looked at him out of the corner of her eye. A smile spread across his face and he nodded. A knock on the door startled them both and he backed away from her.

"Rayne, Lucas is here for you." Maggie's voice carried through the door. Rayne whipped her eyes but thinking of seeing her betrothed made her want to cry even more. Turning to Nero she hugged him tightly, never wanting to let go.

"I will be downstairs with you, do not worry.I will always be with you." He kissed her forehead then retreated to the balcony.

Watching him go she felt something break inside her. Rayne had known since she was child that this day would come. It didn't matter her wishes. She wasn't free here. No matter what her father told her, this choice was not her own. Princess' would forever be bought and sold for lands and titles. Much like livestock. She was shackled to her false sense of duty.

She took a deep, shaky breath. She wiped her eyes once more and made her first step down the stairs towards the sitting room. Towards the man she hated, and toward her horrible unwanted future. Swallowing her tears she made her way toward a tomorrow without Nero, without love.