Objectified

Prompt: Wrote a story from the POV of an object.

------

Tear drops are not an ideal water source.

They fell on my limbs and leave them salty and drier than they were before. Tear drops are a contrast to myself - One I do not mix well with.

They are the sadness while I am the love.

Just today, I sat in a store front and in came a boy. He picked me out, special. He bought me ribbons and bows and cared for me like no one had before.

It was the end of a long day and he took me home. The lock clicked when he turned it and I waited with anticipation to see the inside.

There was a girl there, already.

Her skin was a pale and her eyes were blank when she saw us. No sounds came from here. None at all. Dark stains painted the white couch where she sat. They could have been wine.

They weren't.

A note left on the table was unread in that moment as I was dragged over her body, held tightly in the boy's grip.

I didn't know about the angry words the previous night. I didn't know the pain they both had felt from a slammed door. All I knew were the tears falling on me.

I wanted to comfort him, but I could not. My mere presence was enough to throw him into another fit of sobs. I couldn't even move, however.

After all, what could a pile of roses do when you lose the one thing you love most?