Epilogue

"Mama, when can we see Kay?" Destiny tugged on her mother's pant leg, jittery and excited to finally visit Katie in the hospital. Her aquamarine eyes were full of anticipation, she couldn't wait a second longer to see her second mom.

"Soon, baby girl," Violet said with equal excitement. "We just have to stop and get a present real quick, okay?"

Destiny nodded, her light brown curls brushing against her cheek at the movement. "Is Bee gonna be there," she asked while stuffing a drawing into her mother's purse.

"What do you think?" Violet stopped searching through the mess of homework on the dining table, pausing to just look at her daughter.

Time had gotten away from her; the years passing so quickly, that sometimes she forgot Destiny wasn't a babbling toddler anymore.

They would be celebrating her seventh birthday in only a handful of months. And Violet wondered where the time had gone.

After finding the keys to her car, she grabbed her purse and reached for Destiny's hand.

"Let's go see Kay, snot face."

Destiny stuck her tongue out at her mom, but took her hand. They walked through the house at a speedy pace, anxious to get to the hospital.

A small smile formed on Violet's lips as she helped Destiny in the car. Her memories stretching back to the day that changed everything. One that didn't start out much different than all the others.

Once Destiny was buckled up, Violet got herself ready. A quick glance in her rearview and her smile grew. For the sake of remembrance, she plugged in her mp3 player and selected a song by Mayday Parade.

Destiny might have been older, she might behave better in the car; but hearing the band she had grown up on, still made her nod her head to the beat and sing along.

The music filled the car, Destiny and Violet belting out the lyrics to each song that played. As they passed the cemetery, Violet made a detour, turning through the wrought iron gates and heading towards a plain marker.

"Mom, why are we here," Destiny asked with agitation. She hated the cemetery, hated seeing the look in her mother's eyes when they visited a certain grave.

"Humor me, baby girl."

"Do I have to get out?"

Violet rolled her eyes and laughed. "No, you can't stay in the car. I won't be long."

With the car still running and Mayday Parade still playing, Violet slid out of the vehicle. Her foot steps crunched through the dry, summer grass as she walked.

She stopped when she got close to his tombstone. As guilty as it made her feel, knowing he was buried six feet under always gave her a sense of relief.

"Well, Zack, still dead I see," she chuckled to herself. "I know I never told you this when you were alive and creepin, but thanks. If you hadn't have been such a shit friend, I wouldn't have Destiny."

She slightly turned and looked towards her baby. A pain show through her heart thinking of her life without the kid.

"She's my silver lining. My good that came from the bad. You never deserved to know her. And as shitty as it sounds, you got what you deserved. I think your parents agree with me."

Violet toed the edge of the marker, physically pointing out how basic and how little his parents had cared in the end.

"Who'd have thought Ashlee would be capable of manslaughter. That was one crazy bitch you had. She seriously loved you to death." Another giggle escaped her and she took a moment to gather herself. "That was mean, but I'm not going to say sorry. You two really deserved one another."

"Mom! Your phone's ringing!" Destiny leaned half out of the car and shouted at Violet.

"Duty calls," Violet shrugged and turned to walk away. "Rot in pieces, Zacky."

By the time she reached the car she was to late to answer the call.

"It was Bee's ringtone," Destiny supplied from the backseat.

"Impatient today, isn't he?"

Their eyes connected in the mirror and they both broke out into laughter.

"You ready to go meet your baby brother," Violet asked even though she knew the answer.

Destiny's squeal of happiness echoed in the car. She was ecstatic to see Ben and Katie after their three day absence, but the one she most wanted to see was Baby Ben.

***

"Benny, quit pacing, the girls will be here soon," Katie whispered to her nervous husband, interrupting his ten step march from one wall to the other. "Violet probably forgot her phone. Or Destiny is watching movies on it. Don't worry, they'll be here."

Ben paused long enough to examine his wife and the baby held snugly against her chest. An overwhelming sense of love washed through him and made his heart swell. This was perfect. This was what they had always wanted.

But it felt empty in a way.

"They'll be here, Ben. Relax."

Almost on cue, Destiny bounded through the heavy wooden door, dragging Violet behind her. Katie sent an arched brow in Ben's direction and softly laughed.

While Destiny was caught up in getting a peak at the baby, Violet walked to Ben and gently pecked him on the lips.

"Sorry, we made a few pit stops," she apologized as she moved to Katie's bedside. "How're ya feeling, mama?"

Katie let out a sigh and grinned. "Like I just gave birth."

Violet rolled her eyes and leaned down to kiss the baby's downy, soft head. Katie let out a tsking sound and pointed to her own lips.

Destiny made a gagging sound when her moms kissed. A habit she had picked up from tv. Because it's gross when grown-ups kiss and her parents did it all the time.

"Some day, baby doll, you're going to meet someone that you want to kiss and when you do, I'm going gag just like you."

"Gross, Kay. I won't kiss anybody. That's just nasty."

All three adults laughed at her, loud enough to wake the sleeping baby. Katie tried her best to soothe him, but he wasn't having it. In a quiet tone, Destiny started singing a song that she remembered her mom singing to her.

"Pretty little..." she scrunched her nose and thought for a second, changing to words to fit a boy instead of a girl. "Baby with your swollen eyes Would you show them to me?"

Violet couldn't help the tears that decided to slip from her eyes. This was her silver lining. The good that came from the bad. And she would be forever grateful for what led her to this moment and all the moments ahead of her.