7. She Will Never Learn

I'm apologizing right now... Sorry, but's it's Violet and she does what she wants. :/

___________________________________________

"There’s a letter for you on the counter in the kitchen," Ann said to Violet in a bored tone. "Almost threw it in the trash, since I had no clue when you would decide to come back."

Violet ducked her head down and made her way to the kitchen, slightly embarrased that she had spent the past four nights at Ben and Katie’s without ever telling her mother where she was.

"After you’ve read it, we have things that we need to discuss."

"Okay," Violet replied quietly.

The sender’s name leaving her speechless. She tucked the letter into Destiny’s diaper bag and led her daughter to their bedroom. Once inside, she set Destiny up in her crib and turned the TV on. It wouldn’t work as a babysitter for long, but maybe she would be able to get through the letter before her daughter tired of the show.

Violet sat cross-legged on her bed and held the white envelope in her hands. She really didn’t want to open a letter from Zack.

"Pull up your big girl panties and open the damn letter," she whispered to herself.

The first paragraph in and she was regretting opening the letter.

Dear Vi,

I have been trying to talk to you, but you seem set on ignoring me. I haven’t sent a letter in so long that it almost feels weird writing this instead of texting it. Which I would have, if I had your new number. At least this way, there is a chance that you will read it instead of automatically deleting it.

I miss you, Vi. I miss you so fucking much and it’s starting to drive me insane. I know I'm the one that caused everything. The baby (she's beautiful, by the way), the end of our friendship, just... everything.

I can't change what I've done, but I can try to fix them. I just want the chance to fix us, Vi. Please give me the chance.

It hurts without you. And maybe I'm too late and I'm wasting my time, but it's worth a shot. Maybe you can forgive me. Unlikely, since I can't even forgive myself. I regret what I did every single day.

Right now, Mayday Parade is playing. Oh Well, Oh Well. I play that song every day. Listen to it for me and think about it. About us.

If you want to, you can call me, or text if you prefer. The number is still the same. You don't have to, but I would like to just talk to you. Even if all you do is yell, its no worse than I deserve. Up to you, no pressure.

Guess I better end this. Just know I am so sorry for what I did to you.

Love,
Zack

Violet took a deep breath and reread the letter. A pang of guilt washed over her, followed closely by bittersweet hopes. She missed Zack, she truly did, and since that night she had felt his absence like a pain in the heart.

"Mama!" Destiny called for mother's attention. "Bite!"

Violet looked over and saw the resemblance. The curls that mimicked Zack's. She deserved to know her father.

"Mama. Bite." Destiny tried again.

A peaceful smile stretched across Violet's face. She'd feed her daughter and then she would call him. This was something she felt she needed to do. Face her past and work on her future. Ben and Katie had shown her what kind of relationship she wanted to have.