Six

I could feel myself developing an addiction.  A strong and uncontrollable addiction to seeing and being around Aidan.  I was scared. Or maybe I was misunderstanding the butterflies dancing in my tummy. I was so anxious to see him. I could barely sit still while we had supper.  Mum and dad didn’t notice but Lizzy smiled impishly from across the table. That just made things worse, I forced food down so that mum and dad wouldn’t notice but I was sure I was going to puke.
I hastily got prepared for the ‘second date’. Lizzy tried to get me to fix my hair and change my top because it wasn’t matching with my pants but I didn’t care. I wanted to run out of the house and I’d have walked all the way to the restaurant if Jason wasn’t waiting for us outside.  Lizzy had to log us out with mum and dad, I was too anxious to think coherent thoughts. Opening my mouth would have been a stupid move – might have even cost me my highly anticipated second date.
When we got to the restaurant I had managed to drive Lizzy absolutely insane. I didn’t speak much and when I finally did open my mouth all I could speak about was how I looked and if she thought I was over reacting. She had completely lost it by the time we arrived and was the first to get out. I, surprisingly, took my time. I patted my hair again and again, groaned when I realised that Lizzy was right that I should have changed my top. Jason looked at me impatiently, that was the push I needed to get out. Lizzy was talking spiritedly with Aidan. With every gesture Lizzy made it felt like an invisible string was pulling me towards them. I realised that it was just plain curiosity.
“I know, hey!” I heard Lizzy say when I was close to where they stood. She threw a glance at me and then at Aidan “Look who finally decided to grace us with her presence.”
“Hey,” I said looking at Lizzy with worried eyes.
“Got him all warmed up for you.” Lizzy said and flashed one of her sweet smiles.
“Hey, Chris.” Aidan said stepping towards me and pulling me into a hug. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would, maybe that had something to do with the way Lizzy was eyeing me.
“Oh, come on Chris! I didn’t say anything embarrassing.” Lizzy said, her smile was getting unnerving. “You know, anything like how much you were fussing over this date.” Lizzy smirked.
“Please, Lizzy.” I said, Aidan’s hands slid to my waist and rested there. “Can we please leave, Aidan?”
“Yeah,” Aidan said, it sounded more like an exclamation of joy. “Later Lizzy. Was great seeing you again.”
“Don’t you two love birds do anything I wouldn’t do.” Lizzy said taking a sit in our booth.
“That leaves out very little.” I whispered and Aidan’s laugh filled me with renewed ecstasy.
Aidan took hold of my hand sometime between our walk from the restaurant to his place. We walked hand in hand, occasionally taking the opportunity to rub my shoulder against his. I was noticeably shorter than him but that night I faintly evened it out by wearing my favourite heels. Maybe it was because I knew where we were going, the distance felt shorter. I was disappointed when he started unlocking the door. The ice-cream parlour behind the doors didn’t take me by surprise as before but my memory had somehow managed to dull the beauty of the place.
“Dessert, again?” I asked not masking my dissatisfaction
“Not unless you want it.” He answered walking towards the door marked ‘STAIRS’.
“I get to see your place?” I asked failing to disguise my excitement.
“Well, I didn’t have enough time to come up with a better second date” he explained as he held the door for me. I smiled and walked past him. I’d just learnt how to walk in heels so the idea of climbing stairs freaked me out. I hesitated before taking the first step.
“Is something wrong?” he asked.
“Not exactly.” I said as I took each step cautiously. My calves began to feel the effect of inclined feet going up stairs after a considerably long walk. Aidan had his hand around my waist casually, I knew he had understood my predicament. I looked at his face and caught him smiling at me. Somehow the screaming of my calves toned down.
“I’m sorry, the place is an absolute mess.” Aidan said as he unlocked the door to the apartment one level above the parlour.
“I’m sure it’s not –“ I began to say but ‘that bad’  died in my throat at the sight of the room because it was that bad. It was a complete wretch. Clothes were everywhere. A plate with leftover Chinese food was on what I assumed was a table because  I could see four legs holding up things you never expect to find in the house, yet alone a living room.
“Is that a woman’s bra?” I pointed in disgust at a bit of red lace peeking from under the cushion on the couch.
“Oh, geez!” Aidan said dashing over to pick up a sweater which he used as a glove to pick up the bra. “Leo!” he groaned.
A muffled reply came from one of the three doors on the left of the room. It sounded like “I’m bathing.”
“I promise you, it wasn’t this bad when I left an hour and a half ago.” Aidan pleaded. I didn’t look at him, my eyes were still taking in the magnitude of the mess around me.
“So I can assume you have a messy housemate and a pet bull, right?” I said finally meeting his embarrassed gaze.
“This is so….urgh!” he growled, retreating towards the door that we’d come in through. “I think you’ve seen enough.”
“What? No!” I protested folding my arms. “The tour isn’t over.”
“You’re not repulsed?” he asked. I lifted my hand and signed with my index finger and thumb to express how little my repulsion was. He shook his head exasperated.
“Is that the kitchen?” I asked when he didn’t move.
“Yeah,” he said walking into the room I was pointing at. The kitchen was surprisingly clean. Not spotless but clean enough. There was one plate and a glass in the sink. The dish towel wasn’t where it was supposed to be and a container that once had Chinese food sat on the counter. Other than that, the kitchen was fine.
“I take it Leo doesn’t know you have this room or he just doesn’t spend much time in here.” I said with a grin. He smiled back at me and stepped close to me. I looked shyly at the microwave.
“No, the kitchen is kind of my domain.” I could tell that he was close to me because when he spoke his breath danced just above my ear before it dispersed into my hair and around the side of my face. I felt my heart accelerate. I looked at my hands and nervously started playing with my fingers. My heart stopped beating completely when Aidan’s hand closed over mine. Slowly, still frozen but flexible, I let him pull my hand to his chest. I could hear no sound and I ceased to comprehend anything other than Aidan next to me.
“I’d show you my friend’s room but I’m worried I might not find you once we enter.” he said gently leading me out of the kitchen “So why don’t we go see my room.”
I didn’t trust myself to be in his room but I figured that since I had been able to control myself so far, being in his room would be no different. When he swung his door open and stood aside for me enter first, I had composed myself. But it wasn’t enough to be able to appreciate what was inside the room. It felt like I’d been punched in the stomach. My composure crumbled at what awaited me. I stood speechless and in awe.
“Not what you expected?” he mused. I just nodded my head.
The room was clean, neat and gorgeous. Nothing was out of place and everything was in sync. Aidan’s bedroom was mainly black and white with scatters of grey and dashes of maroon.
“Here I was thinking you couldn’t get any quieter.” He said pushing me into the room. I heard the door close with a ‘click’ but I continued to move, as though in a trance, toward the large bed. It was solid looking and as flat as an ironing board but at the same time it looked fluid almost. I couldn’t even find a defiant crease. I ran my hand lightly on the bed, careful not to make a ripple. I held my breath and looked at him. He was watching me with confusion.
“Go on, take a seat.” He dared me.
“No way,” I said shaking my head and cautiously walking away from the bed.
“Sit!” he demanded but a smile danced on his lips.
“You can’t make me.” I was thinking of a way to get to the door without being stopped.
“Can’t I?” he asked with one eye brow raised.
“Aidan, please don’t.” I found myself begging. One glance at the bed reinforced my need to leave it untouched. Before I could strategize a way to the door, Aidan was in front of me. The look on his face got adrenaline pumping through my veins.
“Why not?” he asked his voice low and deep.
“Look at it!” I screamed “Your bed is so perfect. I don’t want to ruin it.”
“It’s just a bed. I can spread it again if you want.” He contested.
“No!” I screamed again.
“You leave me no choice.” He said giving me a look over. I guess he was figuring out how much I weigh because next thing I knew he’d flung me over his shoulder – caveman style. The shock that washed over me expressed itself in a tiny scream.
“Aidan, no!” I pleaded in between squeals as he walked slowly towards the bed.
“Only if you’ll sit on your own.” He replied clearly enjoying himself.
“Wait, wait!” I screamed and he paused at the side of the bed. “You can’t use me to mess up the bed. It’s too nice.”
Before Aidan could retaliate the door swung open. He turned around to look at the door and swayed me with him.
“Hi Leo!” he said, the euphoria still in his voice.
“Hi,” Leo replied curiously.
“Leo, meet Christopher.” Aidan said turning around so that I could see Leo who appeared to be up-side down to me. “Chris, that’s Leo.”
“It’s Christabell.” I corrected giggling. “Nice to meet you Leo.”
“What! You lied to me?” Aidan said trying to sound hurt. “You’re not Christopher?! What else did you lie about?”
“Aidan, stop!” I could feel his hands preparing to fling me onto the bed.
“Aidan, put the girl down.” Leo said still standing by the door.
“Whatever you say, man.” Aidan said as he finally flung me off his shoulder and onto the bed. It felt like falling on air or even clouds. The velvety soft covers moved with the mattress moulding around my body in a silent and soft catch. I couldn’t help kill the scream I’d started mid-fall with a heartily laugh.
“Do it again.” I squealed looking up at Aidan.
“It was nice to meet you too, Chris.” Leo said “Aidan, I’m heading out now.”
“Could you sort out the living area first?” Aidan said exercising positive politeness.
“I’ll try.” The door closed with the same familiar click.
“That wasn’t so bad, was it?” He grinned at me and jumped beside me on the bed. I practically felt nothing.
“Your bed feels more amazing than it looks which I thought was impossible.” I said shifting my weight around.
“Told you, you had to try it.” He said triumphantly. I just remained quiet looking up at the ceiling. I never wanted to leave. Suddenly, I felt like reaching over and kissing him. “What are you thinking about?” he asked softly.
I sighed, looked at him and bit my lip. He was lying on his back like I was, but he watching me. I dropped my gaze to his lips and smiled.
“I can’t tell you,” I said “it’s third date information.”
“Okay.” His voice was full of uncertainty. Then he looked up at the ceiling.
“What are you thinking about?” I whispered studying his face. He turned to look at me. This time I didn’t avoid getting lost in his eyes.
“I was wondering if your reaction, whatever it may be,” this time he was the one to look away “is worth it.”
“Reaction to what?” I asked with a smile. He didn’t look at me. I turned my whole body and rested on my side in curiosity and looked at him. Finally he looked at me. I gave him an encouraging smile. “Reaction to what?” I prompted.
I knew what he was planning on doing before he propped himself on his side. My heart anticipated his next step when he reached over and touched my neck. I lost all capability to move as his hand moved slowly to my jaw and his thumb grazed my cheek softly. I knew what was coming and yet all I could think about was his question. How would I react?
He leaned in on me. Our faces were centimetres apart. His warm breath played around my face as he paused, hesitating at the thought of how I’d react. If he hadn’t moved in that next second I was going to do either one of two things. Either I was going to the most disappointed girl in history because I’d be too much of a coward or I’d have kissed him first myself. I didn’t know myself well enough to know what exactly I’d have done. His lips finally met mine after what felt like a century and he kissed me softly, gently and briefly. I had no time to respond before his lips were gone. I hadn’t even closed my eyes! He looked at me questions dancing in his eyes.
“That’s it?” I whispered.
He let out a small laugh but before he could say much else I kissed him. This time all inhibitions were gone. He kissed me back still gently but urgently. I slid my hand to his neck and fell on my back pulling him with me. His weight rested on me and yet I felt the need to pull him closer. His hand slid to my waist whilst the other nestled my neck. I felt his hand slowly leave my waist and he withdrew his lips from mine. I opened my eyes and watched him smile at me.
“Were you expecting that?” I asked touching his face with my hands.
“Nope, but I was hoping for it.” He said and kissed me briefly once more before he got up. He pulled me up so I could stand. “Do you want something to drink?”
“You only ask me this now?” I asked with a laugh.
“Well, I was kind of nervous before.” He confessed. It was comforting to know he felt, no matter how minimum, just how I felt.
“No, thank you. I’m good. Besides I have to go.” I looked at my watch. Lizzy would be ready to go home now and Jason would be waiting. Aidan nodded and we walked to the place where we’d meet Lizzy.
The half breeds of butterflies and dragons were still active in my tummy. A familiar feeling engulfed me as I said goodbye. This time Aidan and I hugged longer than usual. I speak entirely for myself when I say I didn’t want to leave, to say goodbye. The moment I dreaded lived up to its standard as I walked away. I turned to see Aidan watching me still as I climbed into the car next to Lizzy. And that was our second date.
Lizzy just smiled with me the whole way home. She had had a great time while I was with Aidan. I wasn’t really surprised, Lizzy knew how to turn anything into a splendour. She owed that to years of experience. I thought falling asleep that night would be difficult but I was out like a lamp as soon as my head hit the pillow. I didn’t dream, I guess my mind realised that nothing it would conjure up would beat the fairy-tale of a second date I’d had.
I could feel Aidan becoming a large part of my life. I know it had been a few weeks since I’d met him but somehow he’d managed to become the first thing on my mind when I woke up and the last thing I thought of as I drifted off to sleep at night. With each passing day I fell deeper and deeper into the possibility of love with him but something  told me that there was a part of him Aidan wasn’t telling me about.
We weren’t serious or anything but I knew that was where we were heading. For Heaven’s sake I wanted to spend every waking second with him so getting really serious was definitely on the table. The only thing annoying about our situation was that Aidan seemed to be keeping me at arm’s length when he clearly enjoyed being with me as much as I enjoyed being with him.
So each day, except Thursdays, after school I’d go to Aidan’s place. Leo would be there most times. I’d get there before Aidan finished his shift at the restaurant where he worked so he’d find me doing my homework in his soon-to-be ice cream parlour. Each day he’d smile and every time I saw him my heart would go wild. I expected that the butterflies would die down the more I spent time with him but instead they got worse.
It was on a Thursday when Aidan came in. I was sitting by the bar doing my homework as usual. I expected my usual cheerful greeting even though I didn’t turn to face him when he entered.
“Hey.” I said as I closed my book and turned around on the stool. He was looking at me in a strange way, like he was trying to permanently paint an image of me in his head. I smiled.
“Are you going to come over here and give me a hug?” I asked.
He moved slowly towards me as though each step was hugely significant. He smiled when he was just two steps away from me. I wanted to hop off the stool and run to him. His steps were too darn slow.
“Hey.” He finally said.
“Is something on your mind?” I asked curiously but I kept smiling. He didn’t answer me. He just slipped his arms around my waist, stepped closer to me and gently pulled me into his embrace. With my hands resting on his neck, I surrounded to the sweetness of this moment.
This was no ordinary kind of hug. It was like he wanted to hold me and pretend nothing else existed. Just like I do with my teddy bears, the only difference now was that pretending to be the only things that mattered wasn’t hard when I was with Aidan. We stayed that way for a minute, maybe thirty or perhaps an hour, I lost track of time. I lost the ability to care about anything except Aidan and I. And then, as if too soon for me, he let go.
“How was your day?” he said looking intently into my eyes.
“It was okay. Now it’s perfect.” I whispered.
“Come sit with me. Tell me all about it.” He lifted me up from the stool and led me to a long couch by the wall on one corner of his ice cream parlour. He sat down and pulled me to him so that I sat resting my head on his chest. I talked about my day. How the gang were making fun of me because I was so distant all the time day dreaming about Aidan, but I didn’t tell him that small detail. I told him about how the hockey coach isn’t impressed with me for bunking practise. These were clearly not the best stories I’d ever told; then again I’m not a good story teller, but he listened so well I couldn’t stop talking.
“Thank you.” He said when I was finished.
“For what? Boring you to death?”  I scoffed.
“For being here.” He said softly as he kissed my forehead. “You always make my day.”
That was the final straw. I sat up and looked at him.
“Don’t take this the wrong way,” I took a deep breath in preparation for what I was about to say. “Today has been special, in a weirdly intense way, but when are you going to tell what’s on your mind?” I asked.
“I don’t understand?” He said innocently.
“There’s obviously something going on. Are you going to tell me or not?” I asked irritated by his evasiveness.
“I have a headache.” He said after a long time. I knew there was more but I didn’t want to push it.
“A headache?” I repeated.
“Yeah, since morning.” He continued with taking his eyes away from mine.
“Okay, do you have aspirin?” I asked
“Upstairs. I’ll take them later.”
“Okay,” I said as I got up “how about you take them now and I’ll leave.”
“Let me walk you to where you’re meeting Jason.” He said as he stood up and towered over me.
“No. I’m leaving so that you can rest. If you come with me that defeats the whole purpose.” There was worry in his eyes “It’s not far from here. I’ll call you when I get home.”
“Fine.” He sighed exasperated. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”
“Definitely.” I kissed him goodbye and gathered my school books into my back pack and I threw my phone and wallet into a small purse I slung over my shoulder.
As I stepped out I immediately felt like going back inside. The doors closed behind me and I was ready to cry. I wanted Aidan there with me. Sure the sun was still out and the road looked friendly enough but ever since I met Aidan I only felt safe when he was around. I nervously walked to the corner where I was supposed to meet Jason.
I was just a couple of blocks away. The road had become significantly busy but I noticed two odd looking guys trying to keep up with me. I dropped my pace and let them walk in front of me. Every two seconds they would turn to look at me as though they were trying to figure out which way I was heading. I crossed over to the other side of the road, so did they. My heart was racing but I tried to stay calm.
Realising that I had nowhere to go except through them, I slipped into the nearest shop. It was a hardware store. I walked through the aisles trying to buy time and calming my nerves. I took out my phone and called Jason to tell him where I was so that he could come pick me up. He was going to take a few minutes so I lingered around the nuts, bolts and screws shelf that was just by the door.
“Can I help you?” The shop attendant almost got me jumping out of my skin. He thought it was funny. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”
“It’s okay.” I said as I caught my breath. My heart was racing so fast that if it continued that way it was going to cramp up and stop.
I saw Jason turning from around the corner so I went to wait for him by the edge of the pavement. Out of nowhere, the two punks or maybe a new crew, I don’t know it was hard to tell, ran to me and grabbed my purse. The other one was barking orders of some sort and searching my pockets. I was crying and screaming. And then they just left.
I stood there paralysed while the attendant from the hardware store raced to me. He kept asking if I was okay. I was nodding frantically. No, I was shaking violently from head to toe. My whole body was shivering and I covered my head and screamed. At first I couldn’t even tell what I was saying.  I heard the car screech to a halt and in a flash Jason was holding me, no doubt he was trying to stabilise me.
“He touched me!” was all I screamed “He touched me.”
“It’s okay, Chris. He’s gone.” Jason had to keep repeating. “He won’t hurt you.”
So I wasn’t hysterical because the monkeys had stolen the purse I’d spent months saving up to buy. I was falling apart because ever since the night I’d walked in on a robbery, I’ve hated having strange men just touch me. Months of therapy hadn’t cured that.
After a while I was calm enough to get into the car. We drove home in silence. No jazz music, no talking. The only sound was my occasional uncontrollable sob. That was the only sound accompanying the purring of the engine. Lizzy was the first to see me. She didn’t know why I looked like a mess but my distraught expression was the only reason she needed to console me. She didn’t care, she would have comforted me the same way if I was that upset over a broken nail.
I had supper in bed that night. After a cup of hot chocolate I realised that I’d blown the whole thing out of proportion. I was justified a little bit but my reaction had surprised me. In that instant I was transported back to a night I didn’t revisit while I was awake. I only had nightmares about it. Lizzy ended up telling me about her day which took my mind off things. Just before I went to sleep, I used her phone to send a message to Aidan.
You won’t believe what happened. Tell you all about it tomorrow. G’night – Chris.
And then I fell asleep, exhausted after an emotionally draining day.
It was morning before I knew it. I dragged myself out of bed and got ready for school. I pulled on a huge smile on my face to convince mum and dad not to worry.
“Chris, sweetie,” mum began and I knew that I wouldn’t like what she had to say next. “Why don’t you just come straight home after school today” she wasn’t done “and always.”
“Why? Because of yesterday?” I sighed.
“We just want to keep you safe.” Dad added
“I’ll be fine. It was just a random mugging.”
“Please, let’s not argue” mum said when she actually meant; 'Don’t make me make it a rule.'
“Then let’s compromise.” I looked at dad, pleading silently for him to take my side. He smiled and looked at his breakfast.
“What do you propose?”  She looked at me with worry in her eyes.
“I’ll come straight home on Tuesday and Friday. Monday and Wednesday I have hockey practise and Thursday I spend with Lizzy.”
“Sounds fair.” Mum said.
“I’ll be extra safe, I promise” I said digging into my food. Lizzy was grinning at me from across the table. Dad got up.
“See, you won that case all by yourself.” He said as he left .
Jason was waiting for me as usual in the driveway. I got in the car and gave him a cheerful ‘Good morning’. He tried to mirror it but he didn’t sound as convincing. I appreciated the effort.
“How are you” Jason finally asked
“I’m great.” I said smiling at him. “Thank you for yesterday.”
“Hockey practise today?” Jason asked casually
“Yeah, hockey practise.” I said with a sly smile.
No one at home, except Lizzy, knew that I was ditching practise to spend time with Aidan. Mum and dad cared so little about hockey that they didn’t notice that the number of matches I played were close to none. They didn’t even notice that I stopped carrying my sports bag on the days I supposedly had practise. I was ready to tell them that I had quit hockey but after mum decided to ground me for being mugged I decided to omit that little detail.
We pulled into the school yard and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me because I noticed Aidan standing by the entrance. It was only when I got out of the car that I was fully able to confirm that it was Aidan not just a fragment of my imagination.
Of course it was Aidan; the girls couldn’t keep their eyes off him as they walked past. I smiled smugly as I walked towards him.
“Hey.” I squealed as I stepped into his arms. He kissed me lightly on the lips. Sometimes I wondered if he thought I was breakable.
“Good morning.” He said letting me go slowly.
“Did you get my message?” I asked. He nodded and took something out of his jacket pocket. “Yesterday, when I left your place, I –what is that?” I stuttered and my voice trailed off as I looked at the parcels in his hands. The objects were so familiar but I knew it couldn’t be real.
“Your phone and wallet. You left it at our place yesterday.” Aidan placed the phone into my hand. I smiled as I took in that he had called it our place. But I would not let that derail me.
“No, I didn’t. As I was trying to tell you; I got mugged last night. They took my phone and wallet.”
“Your phone and wallet which you left at our place?” I smiled again at the mention of our place but frowned almost instantly. How dare he be so sweet and calm when he was putting my mind in over drive. What was going on?
“So you keep saying.” I studied the phone he had given me and the familiar wallet with my ID. Nothing was missing. I looked at him questioningly.
“Isn’t that your stuff?” he asked after a while.
“It’s mine. But I’m absolutely sure I had my phone with me when I left your – our – place.” I just had to say the word but even so I did not let that take my mind of the fact what Aidan was doing. I had to stop the questions that were forming in my head. I was so embarrassed even having thought them.
“Sounds like you should be grateful that you forgot it at my place.” I looked into his eyes as he spoke. I couldn’t find any reason to think he was lying but I wasn’t convinced.
“I called Jason from the hardware store I was hiding in using my cell phone.” I said confidently. “I don’t know what’s going on but I want the next thing to come out of your mouth to be the truth.”
I didn’t break eye contact. I knew if I stopped staring into the eyes that I trusted without a doubt the questions floating in my head would make me scream in frustration with myself. Slowly, his expression turned pained and he looked at my hands. At that moment I wanted to shake my head and pretend it was a dream.
“I’ll return your bag to you this afternoon.” He finally mumbled. I gasped involuntarily and frowned at him. Could Aidan have had something to do with the mugging? I blinked once and tried to compose myself.
“I have to go for class.” I finally said. “I’ll see you this afternoon.”
And then I turned and left. I looked back just before I entered one of the buildings to find him still there watching me from the gate. I took a deep breath feeling reassured that I wasn’t wrong about Aidan.
I was preoccupied all throughout classes. I couldn’t wrap my head around what had happened with Aidan. I wasn’t angry; just puzzled. How did he end up with my stuff? Obviously, he hadn’t mugged me. And I wasn’t about to believe that he’d sent some idiots to take my stuff. Aidan wasn’t behind the mugging, right? The million dollar question was; how did he get my stuff back? I was so caught up in my thinking that I didn’t notice when Dylan came up to me.
“You’ve got that Sherlock look on your face.” Dylan said as he sat next to me in the library at the end of the day. Dylan’s ability to read my mind from a simple expression was beginning to worry me.
“There’s something not adding up in my life.” I said trying to smile at him.
“Maybe I could help.” He suggested.
“It’s not a simple Math thing.” I said “I’ll get the solution soon enough.”
I looked into my biology book and started doing my homework. I tried to let the work absorb me so that I would stop trying to figure out the enigma. I managed to work non-stop for about forty-five minutes. I was done with my homework so I got up to leave. The need to see Aidan was engulfing me as I packed my books hurriedly into my bag.
“Leaving already? Aren’t you going for hockey?” Dylan asked.
“I’m not going for hockey today.” I said as I forced in the last book and tried to zip up my bag. Agitation was getting the best of me and my hands were shaking slightly.
“Cool. Do you want to catch a movie or something?” Dylan said with a hopeful smile on his face.
“Not today. I have something I need to do.” His smile vanished, so I quickly added. “Maybe another time.”
“Alright.” Dylan said. I looked at Dylan. I couldn’t understand why I was being so polite to him and sparing his feelings. I knew I had to stop before I led him on but the thought quickly left my mind as I recalled why I had to see Aidan.
“See you tomorrow.” I said as I left.
I didn’t go to our place. Instead, I went to wait for Aidan to finish work at the restaurant. I sat in the booth Lizzy and I use every Thursday and had a muffin. I tried my hardest not to watch him as he worked and he seemed to be working out of my view as much as he could. I was probably being paranoid which I wouldn’t have been if I was succeeding at not watching him.
When he was done he came to get me. We walked out of the restaurant. I walked closed by him, force of habit perhaps. Neither of us said a word as we walked.
“I know this is a dumb question but did you have those guys mug me?” I asked when I couldn’t take the silence any longer. He laughed and looked at me. I couldn’t forge a smile at him. I was so worried he’d nod.
“No!” he said when I kept quiet.
“So, how did you get my stuff?” I asked feeling silly for having ever thought of the first question.
“I saw them watching you. I knew what they were up to. I was really proud of you when you ducked into the hardware store.” He explained calmly. 
“You were following me?” I asked in disbelief.
“I was making sure you had a safe trip.” Aidan corrected.
“Why didn’t you just come walk with me?” I asked in shock.
“Because you refused when I offered. I didn’t want to smother you.” He said still as calm as before. I couldn’t tell if he found my reaction just funny or he was pulling my leg.
“So, you just followed me.” I pressed.
“I watched you from a safe distance.” He corrected with a smile. I almost let his smile win me over but I still had questions.
“That doesn’t explain how you got my stuff.” I reminded him.
“When they attacked you I almost ran over but Jason arrived. I waited to make sure you were okay and then I went after them.” He said. My mouth flew open at his words.
“You what?!” I screamed, stopping dead in my tracks. “Something could have happened to you. Over what? A phone and wallet?!”
“I didn’t go after them for the phone and your stuff. I would have let them go but you were so freaked out. You looked pretty shaken. Freaking you out the way they did was unnecessary. They couldn’t get away with doing that.” The anger in his voice caught me by surprise. I could feel the corner of my lips twitching into a smile but I couldn’t smile when he was obviously furious.
“I overreacted.” I whispered. Aidan took a few steps and stood right in front of me. He was probably worried that he’d scared me. “I’m sorry you had to see that.”
“You don’t have to apologise.” He said kissing my forehead.
“Obviously, I do. You’re so mad. My overreaction could have gotten you killed.” He laughed. I looked at his face with confusion and he continued to laugh until all that was left was a huge smile on his face. “I’m glad my concern amuses you.”
“Gotten me killed?” He laughed again. “They were a bunch of amateur thieves.”
“Who were armed,” I pointed out matter-of-factly.
“That’s even funnier. I’m a big boy, I think I can handle a couple of thieves.” He chuckled.
“Men and their egos.” I whispered as I buried my face into his chest. “I overreacted because I was thinking about the night I walked in on a robbery. I almost got killed. It’s been years. I had no idea it still affected me so much.”
I felt his arms stiffen around me. He just stood there holding me. Because my ear was resting right over his heart, I could hear it racing almost as fast as mine but obviously for different reasons. My heart was pounding like Indian drums on a festival from the second I saw him and Aidan’s only started racing when I started talking about my horrific night.
“See. Now I’ll never tell you when something hurts me because clearly you can’t handle it rationally.” I said against his chest because he was crushing me into him, which I had no objection to.
“I just care about you a lot. That’s not wrong.” He said as he finally let go of me. I kept his hand in mine. He turned to walk on but I tagged his hand to show him that I wanted to head back to the restaurant.
“I need to get back.” I said as an answer to his confused expression. “I have to go home early because mum wants to ground me for getting mugged. So, I need to start behaving responsibly which means getting home early.”
“Are we still on for Friday?” he asked as he let me drag him along.
“Absolutely.” I said.
Suddenly he pulled me back and I flew into his arms. Before I could recover he kissed me. This time my responses weren’t slow. I pulled his head to mine as he crushed my body into his. And then he stepped back. He smiled triumphantly and walked on leaving me stunned.
“Let’s go.” He yelled at me. With a smile, I ran after him and took the hand he was offering me. I rested my head on his shoulder. Why hadn’t I noticed how muscular he was before? Maybe it was because he was so gentle with me all the time.
When I got home Lizzy wasn’t there. She’d gone for a walk. Not for fitness as much as it was for shopping at the nearest mall. That gave me time to wrap my head around how I felt about everything I’d learnt about Aidan. All I could digest at that moment was that he made me feel so special. Being followed around constitutes creepy but that’s not how I saw it. I felt so cared for. It was happening, wasn’t it? I was diving head first. Only time could tell if I would continue diving into love or if I was just hanging by my feet.
“I thought you got mugged.” Lizzy asked as she walked into our room with a shopping bag. I was lying on my back, playing with my phone. Before I could answer she continued, “Check out these awesome heels.”
“Wow!” I exclaimed looking over the stunning heels she had thrown on my bed. “These are the best never-tell-mum-about heels.”
“I used the credit card for ‘emergencies’. They had my name all over them. I couldn’t leave them.” Lizzy said adoring her new addition.
“I don’t blame you. These are awesome!” I squealed in delight.
“So, where did you get the phone?” Lizzy asked. She could digress but she never took her eyes of the price.
“I already know what you’re going to say.” I muttered as I showed her the phone.
“That’s your phone.” She said with confusion.
“I forgot it at Aidan’s.” I had to try my luck at lying but Lizzy looked at me the way I’d looked at Aidan when he tried to sell me the ‘you forgot it at our place’ rubbish.
“No, you didn’t. It was in your bag that got stolen.” There was no hesitation or doubt in her voice.
“Fine,” I sighed. “You got me.” I paused. I couldn’t lie to Lizzy but I had to find a way to put the situation in a good light. Lizzy would blow this out of proportion which I should have done myself if I wasn’t so smitten.
“Well, how did you get it back?” Lizzy prompted.
“Aidan got it back.” I said moving my lips as little as I could.
“How?” Lizzy asked as she packed the shoes into the back of our closet. There was no judgement in her voice…yet.
“He was watching when I was attacked and he went after the guys who mugged me to get my stuff back.” I paraphrased as fast as I could.
“He’s a stalker?” Lizzy concluded.
“No!” I screamed “I knew you would think that.”
“Why? Because you thought it too?” she said with a smile on her face. “I’m kidding. That was sweet of him.”
“In every joke, there’s an element of truth.” I said. “Yes, I thought he was stalking me but he explained to me how he was just looking out for me.”
“I don’t mean to be the rain on your parade but I have a feeling there’s more to this pretty picture than you’re paying attention to.” With those words Lizzy left the room.
Missing the bigger picture? Obviously, that I was doing. But it wasn’t entirely my fault. He was so smooth and mesmerising to me. I couldn’t think straight when I was with him. It took a lot of concentration to keep breathing and monitor my heart rate. I really, truly liked this guy. Bigger picture or not, I was already in over my head.