6: AUNT GERTRUDE FINDS A CLUE

While working on a case, Fenton Hardy often stole away in the middle of the night in pursuit of nefarious villains who had managed to elude him beforehand. It was not unusual. But both Frank and Joe thought it was ironic, this time, considering the circumstances.

"Well, can you beat that?" Frank exclaimed, upon hearing the news. "He runs off to New York to look for Question Mark, and the very same man himself breaks into our house!"

Aunt Gertrude sniffed indignantly. "What's this world coming to when grown men call themselves such imbecilic names like 'Question Mark', and gad about town dressed like wizards? They must be out of their minds! Oh, why did Fenton ever have to become a detective? He could have done something way more normal, like ... well, like raise goats!"

Mrs. Hardy chuckled. "Gertrude! Fenton is hardly cut out to be a farmer, although I admit it would certainly be safer than being a private investigator."

"Safer and boring," Joe croaked. "I am so glad Dad is not a farmer!"

"Ditto on that," Frank agreed. "Because you bet we wouldn't want to follow in his footsteps if that were the case. Don't clean anything up yet," he added. "The police will want to check for fingerprints."

It was in the wee early morning hours by the time the Bayport police completed their investigation of the break-in. Detective Smuff and officer Con Riley were dispatched to the house and they spent quite a bit of time perusing every inch of the property. The men finally took the hint from Aunt Gertrude, who was ready to hit them over their heads with her mop, and took their leave. Little Bobby had slept soundly through the entire nocturnal episode.

Thus it was later in the morning than usual when the boys awoke, and they scrambled to get dressed and hurry downstairs to the enticing aroma of bacon and eggs. Bobby was sitting at the table with Mrs. Hardy, mopping up egg yolk with a crusty piece of toast.

"Hi, kiddo!" Frank greeted him, while Joe tousled the boy's curly blond hair.

"Hi, Frank and Joe," the lad said happily. "I like staying at your house. There's always lots of food!"

"There sure had better be," said Joe, hopefully eyeing Aunt Gertrude, who was standing at the stove frying up more bacon and eggs.

She sniffed condescendingly and glared at him. "Don't worry, a fresh batch for you and Frank is on the way. Although I don't know why you boys would need any nourishment, since I've been having to do all your detective work for you."

"Uh oh." Frank looked at Joe as they sat down at the table, then at their mother. "What's she talking about now?"

Mrs. Hardy smiled. "Aunt Gertrude found a very important clue."

"She did?" the boys chorused.

Aunt Gertrude's face held a very smug expression as she placed platters of bacon, eggs, and toast in front of the boys.