Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The dress was itchy, and Stephanie just wanted to go home.

The day wasn't going particularly well. The morning had been full of quiet crying and sniffling in her room, and the afternoon had been spent travelling from place to place picking things and people up. Finally, this evening, she'd been unceremoniously dumped in this hotel ballroom, waiting for the event she'd been dreading so long to happen.

Stephanie was being forced to attend her father's wedding. Alan Morris, owner of a long chain of companies, had a dead wife and was now getting a new one. Or rather, he was just making a well-kept secret known. He had a mistress he was finally eligible to marry, and he didn't care how Stephanie felt about it, considering the fact his first wife had died just barely a week ago. A week ago.

 The scowl had been on her face all day, and Stephanie had a growing suspicion that the pent up feelings inside of her might be ready to burst out anytime soon. Strangely, she wanted it to. She wanted to show her father that he had to care, and that he couldn't just leave her hanging there without knowing what to do or where to go. But the problem was, Stephanie was too scared for an outburst. She knew her father could just drop her off at an orphanage somewhere and wouldn't lose a night's sleep over it.

Her green eyes scanned the ballroom for about the millionth time. Nothing much to see... most of the people here were from the bride's family. Stephanie knew absolutely no one, and recognized only a few businessmen her father had invited, but she had never spoken to them before.

She was bored. No way was she eating any of the food they had catered- it would be equivalent to betraying her mother, and she wouldn't. She looked around again, and zeroed in on a figure entering the room. The person was in a classic tuxedo, and had a shock of dark hair that glinted in the yellow light. He was tall, with broad shoulders and a compact body, and a lean figure. He looked like an athlete.

Stephanie watched as the person made his way over to her table. Then, choosing the seat directly across from her, he sat. And looked up.

 The first thing she noticed about him was his eyes. They were a clear and intense blue that seemed to twinkle. Each orb was framed with thick dark lashes. She'd never seen any eyes like his before, and even her own unique green eyes couldn't match up. She stared in stunned silence for a moment, then began drinking in the rest of his features in still silence.

His lips were full and perfectly shaped. His nose was straight and his eyebrows were two decisive black strokes above his eyes. He had supermodel features... Stephanie forced herself to look away.

He was probably a relative or something. Or a friend, or somebody who had something to do with the bride's side. The enemy side. And no matter how cute he was, she had to remember that- he was an enemy.

Stephanie did her best to look away from him for the rest of the dinner, but every once in a while, her eyes would involuntarily stray to look at him, and sometimes she would catch him looking at her too. In those moments, her heart would give a little jump. She had to constantly remind herself that she shouldn't be checking an enemy out like that, and if he turned out to be an uncle or worse, she'd be in deep shit. So she did her best to ignore his powerful presence, and was glad for the distraction when the emcee finally emerged onto the stage.

"Ahem," the emcee coughed, tapping his microphone. "May I have everyone's attention, please? The solemnization is about to start very soon-" there was a short applause- "and our waiters will be coming in shortly to clear all food. In the meantime, I suggest you clear your plates." He ended with a wink and promptly disappeared backstage.