Chapter Five

Dinner was a very peculiar affair, which I suppose could be expected, in a household filled with peculiars. Olive was tied to her chair, to stop her from floating away. Hugh had to eat on a seperate table, under a mosquito net so that his bees wouldn't sting anyone.

The meal contained a stunning array of foods like nothing I'd ever seen before. Meat, fish, bread and vegetables were scattered over a huge oak table that could easilyvn. I sat next to Emma, who had using her finger, lit candles all around the room. Vases filled with flowers were also present. "Fiona can grow plants." Emma whispered to me. I still wondered why she was so silent, but I suppose it's none of my business.

After dinner, all of the children dispersed and I went into my room. The shocks of the past few days began to set in. Although I liked to think that I was strong, I began to cry. I cried for the family that didn't want me, I cried for my curse that left me a freak. As tears rolled down my face, Emma and Fiona walked into the room.

"Changeover's nearly here," Emma said. I had no idea what changeover was, but I didn't feel  like going anyway. Emma walked out, but Fiona sat down on my bed next to me. "What's wrong?" She asked. I remained silent. "It's okay love, they chased me out too,"
"What?"
"The people, I was around in the famine in Ireland. I used my ability to grow food, I helped as much as I could, but the things I saw were terrible. A year  later, when food suplies were better, I was accused of being a witch. The villagers burnt my house down. I just managed to escape, but my little brother Charlie couldn't. I ran away and hid in a field. Hugh found me."
"I'm... Sorry."
"It's not your fault, but let me know if you want to talk about anything. The things I saw in the famine stole my voice away, but I think you understand. None of the children have had easy lives. Each one's been disowned or forced to leave one way or another."
"That's terrible. Thank you Fiona."
"You're welcome. Please call me Fee, I don't like my long name."
"Call me Tilly."

I felt much better knowing that someone else understood. I feel like I might maybe fit in somewhere for have a family who care for me. All the children had a patchwork of hardships sewn into their lives, I would find out what they were in good time. For now I just wanted to sleep, and let myself rest. I hadn't had a good bed to sleep in for so long.

A/NSorry that this chapter is really short, I just couldn't think of anything else to write. I'm writing this at my dance show (fun fact). I have no idea where this story's going, but if you have any ideas or sugestions, please pm me. Thanks for any votes, comments or follows.
I love you all!
Poppy 😛