Over The Oceans

♪ Never Push a Loyal Person to the Point Where They No Longer Care ♪

Over the next three days there were two more murders – six and five puncture wounds, both hospital patients within the last two months. Holmes had hardly stopped pacing, and when he did he played the violin. John rubbed his temples from his spot on his chair, not knowing what was going on anymore – there was a murderer at large they couldn't find, biological evidence was yet to be found, and a motive was nowhere to be seen.

Holmes's mind worked at half its usual speed because half of it was occupied by John's strange behavior. There he was, on his laptop, eyes closed and fingers to his temples. He found it frustrating he couldn't concentrate on the case – he wanted to badly. He just wasn't sure how. How do you expel thoughts you don't want to have?

He headed toward the door, saying he was going to go check the bodies again, and John could keep working on whatever it was he was working on.

He was going to see Molly.

"Molly Hooper," He said upon entrance, a dazzling smile upon his face. Molly was shocked, her smile flickering on and off her face. "I have a question for you, since I'm sure you'll be able to answer it with your experience."

"M-my experience?" She asked, frowning, not knowing what he was referring to. She assumed nothing to do with working in the morgue.

"Yes, with people." He said, then frowned, realizing she dealt with dead people in her work. "Alive people." He added, nodding to himself.

"Oh, okay... what can I help you with?" She asked, putting down some tools she'd been sterilizing.

"John's been acting strange, and it's bothering me, but I need to concentrate on the case. How do I forget about him?"

Molly froze, staring at him with wide eyes. "You... you want to forget about John?" She asked, a nervous laugh escaping her lips. "Why would you... doesn't he help with the cases?"

"Of course he has minor input and alternate opinions, but it's him, not his ideas. He's bothering me – taking up brain space. I'll lose if I keep thinking about him."

"How much do you think about him?" She asked, frowning, not understanding how it could possibly interfere with his case – he was always so concentrated on them.

"Constantly. It's a real bother." He said.

"You're worrying?" Molly asked, her eyebrows raising exponentially. "You're worrying about John? What's wrong with him?"

"Nothing's – I'm not worrying, there's nothing- I just can't stop- I need to concentrate on the case!" He stuttered, cutting himself off with aggravation. "I just... need to concentrate. Not even nicotine patches are helping."

"Right..." Molly said, nodding. "Well, in my experience, when I can't stop thinking about someone I have to figure out why I'm thinking about them... and then usually it subsides once it's resolved." She said, watching him carefully as his eyes darted about.

"I don't... understand. He's acting strange, that's why, I know that, why can't I stop?"

"Okay, but you don't know why he's acting strange. Find out why." She said calmly as she saw him escalating – not knowing was clearly his kryptonite.

"Right. Find out why. Then I can concentrate on the case." He said, nodding and walking out. "Thank you, Molly! You're the best." He flashed another smile, then walked away from the door.

Molly sighed heavily, nodding to herself as she started sterilizing tools again, trying to dismiss her suspicions.

Holmes talked to himself the whole cab ride back to 221B, wondering why he didn't ask about the bodies again while he was there, and how on Earth knowing what was wrong would help. He guessed the prospect of knowing in itself would soothe his raging thoughts.