Chapter 5 || An Inflatable Flamingo

"Ready. Set. GO!" The sound of two cars, eight tires battling against the sharp concrete floor in haste to get the lead. Cheers and claps waved over the dense crowd as they closed the empty gap when the cars were gone. Some proceeded to run up to the exit and continue pumping their fist in the air and shouting for their car. Everyone focused intently on the three small TV's that recorded three parts of the race, some watched it on their phones. The reason for this was to see if their car was winning or losing; some had bet on a car and would get money if their car won, or lose money if it lost.

Let's just say when someone lost, they would get pretty... mad, which was one of the reason street racing could be 'dangerous' or 'life threatening'. Not my words. As far as I knew, it was pretty safe for most of us. There would be at least six body guards by the sides who would have been dragged along by their rich owners, and they would be forced to keep watch to make sure they would be safe.

Carlos and I were watching the scene from the hood of the car where we were before, a couple of feet away from where everyone else as hovering in small groups, their eyes glued to someone’s phone screen showing the race.

"You want a Coke?" I was getting bored watching the race - there was nothing interesting so far. Either Hunter or Riddick would win, big whoop. Perhaps it would get more interesting afterwards if Hunter lost; he was always the violent type. Worst case scenario: he would put Riddick in hospital, but we all knew it was unlikely he went that far.

Carlos turned his head a fraction from his comfortable position lying on my car, "Yeah that would be cool."

My eyes wondered and located the soda crate a couple of metres from us, "Hey!" I yelled to no one in particular, but still got most of their attention, "Can we get two Cokes?" A couple of 'sure's reached my ears before a girl wearing neon clothes came over and handed us a chilled Coke each. "Cheers." Snapping open mine with a snap and hiss, I gulped down a large mouthful of the ice cold beverage.

"Benefits of being friends with Skyler freaking Young," He sighed with content beside me, "People will get you anything you ask for." My Spanish friend cracked a grin and took a sip of his drink.

"What can I say?" I flipped my hair dramatically, "Everyone adores me!" Like in the adverts, I gave a big fake smile and tilted my head an inch.

"No! You didn't do it right! Watch," Carlos put his can down carefully. He flicked the air close to his hair, turning his head to the side and giving me a flirtatious look, "Because you're worth it." Ending it with a wink. I stared wide eyed, the smile on my face turning into a laugh. Before I could comment on how bad his impression was, a loud burst of cheers and tires came from the entrance to the park.

"Looks like they're back. 10 bucks it's not Hunter." I looked at Carlos, holding out a hand to shake on the bet.

Grabbing it, he firmly gave it one shake, "Done." We slipped off and landed on our feet, beginning to walk to the car stopped in the middle of everyone. It was hard to determine whether it was Riddick or Hunter, but I hoped it wasn't the latter. Ten dollars could have bought me a milkshake or something, but once the door opened and a foot was visible, I began getting the bill out.