Chapter 41 - Ingold

Chapter 41 – Ingold

Wraith-fire played softly across the Blood pool, still rippling to the memory of Dain's dive. Ingold knelt on one knee, his back to the dragon. He mistrusted his feelings. The Blood burned in him, the dragon's mind whispered in his.

Is my will my own? Am I supposed to serve the dragon as I once served a Blood Lord? Ingold's thoughts chased in tight destructive circles.

He glanced at Gartus, crouched by the pool's edge. He held an ornate iron flask, some piece of priests' paraphernalia that escaped the collapse of the cave.

Call it what it was. The closing of the dragon's mouth. A mile long dragon, wholly alien. Its Blood's made Gartus into something far from human. Look at him now – filling that bottle – he speaks to the dragon and no-one hears.

The hand of doubt ran a cold finger down Ingold's spine. What's the bottle for? Is the dragon pulling Gartus's strings? Is it working mine ... listening to my thoughts?

Gartus strode over to stand before Ingold, towering and golden.

"We should find our way out of here," he said.

Ingold looked up at him. "I won't give it up. Handelf will die by my hand. There is nobody in this world who can stop me." Ingold realised he was trembling, his knuckles white on the hilt of his broken sword.

Gartus regarded him. He chewed at his cheek, thoughtful and silent. His crimson eyes unreadable. "Revenge has kept you alive, but you haven't been living. It's with choices that we plot our path. From who we were to who we are. Choices." He sighed and laid a heavy paw on Ingold's shoulder. "You've hungered for this revenge for years. Do you think it will taste sweet? When Handelf lies burning at your feet?" Gartus shook his head. "When you taste how bitter, how hollow, it really is, it will be too late to ever lose that hunger."

Ingold shook the hand from him. He turned toward the tunnel mouth. Not trusting himself to speak. When I see him burning, I won't see her burning. His screams will drown her screams.

"We're agreed on one thing," he said shortly. "We should get out of here."

Cordus watched them go. His huge eyes closed as they left the chamber. No words followed them, just the faintest whisper that spoke in pictures, of endlessly blue skies and the crack of wings.

Ingold stalked ahead. He seethed inside, angry for being angry. Furious that Gartus would even ask him to set aside what was his. Handelf deserved to die. He needed to die.

Gartus held Dain's hand. They walked the narrow stair where Ingold had fallen. Dain clasped one thick finger. He tugged and hissed,

"Is he cross with me? I don't want him to leave us."

Gartus heaved his shoulders, "He isn't cross with you. He is a man that needs to feel free. You can't force Ingold into any decision, even when he knows it's right."

Silence reigned until they reached the sealed door to the Blooding Chamber.

"I left this open," said Ingold.

The muted glow of Gartus's scales lit the tunnel. He laid his hands on the door, running them across it.

"There's a depression at the centre. You can use the key."

"There's going to be a reception committee out there," said Ingold.

"I'll go first," Gartus offered his most toothy smile.