Chapter 15 - Sindri

Chapter 15 - Sindri

Sindri met the demon by a stream. For two days since leaving Corlothis in his tomb Sindri wandered the Myrdrin, mostly lost but unchallenged. In all that time no elemental or beast crossed his path. The Undying One proved as good as his word, denying the forests to the Black Priests. Until now.

It had human form but looked like no human this side of the Pit. Jet black rivulets painted a pale green face, running like ink from spiked black hair. The creature's form was female, though long and angular. It's eyes were those of a cat, or a puff-viper, burning emerald, almost aglow. Sindri came upon the stream from a thicket where ivy hung in dead dry sheets, he rounded the bole of a massive oak and there the demon waited. It watched for his approach, crouched before the water.

"Demon!"

The demon glanced around, momentarily puzzled. Its disconcertingly green eyes found his again, "A boy with an axe."

Sindri, glanced around looking for others, gauging his escape routes. He could see a horse back among the trees behind the demon. He hadn't considered that demons might ride horses.

"Very strange to find a boy in the middle of nowhere all alone."

Sindri found his voice, "I'm not alone, demon. I'm with my axe."

"So you are." The demon smiled again.

"Your hunt is going to end poorly, demon."

"My hunt? You think very highly of yourself young man if you think I'm in these woods for you. True, I have found you, but you're such a pretty boy I think I'm going to let you live ... if you don't try to follow me."

Quick as a flash the demon tossed a small green sphere at his head. Sindri leapt aside, cursing as he rolled onto his injured hip. He looked for the demon but it had gone. Off between the trees on agile feet, then away on horseback. The green object lay on ground, amid dead leaves and icy snow crusts. He approached it with caution, edging nearer and finally poking at it with his axe. The moment of recognition brought with it no understanding. A lime!? Here on the edge of winter in a frozen forest, a lime? Sindri had seen such fruit but once. Xollor Martusis brought them from the Southholds, one summer when Sindri's mother yet lived. He had caskets of them, green, yellow, even orange! All packed in straw. Sindri had been given half of an orange fruit, and the memory of it sang in his mouth even now. With a trembling hand he took the demon's fruit.