Chapter 22; The Battle for Middle-earth is About to Begin

The Two Towers; Disc 2 and my Imagination

Chapter 22; The Battle for Middle-earth is About to Begin.

~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~> ~~~~~~~~~~>

Aaron's dream took place in what she guessed to be Osgiliath. She could almost see the once beauty of it. White rock walls, flowers, and merry, rejoicing people. That was now replaced with fire, ash, and ruin. The walls were no more than piles of rock, now. Flowers could not be seen even where dirt showed. The people she saw where soldiers firing arrows and paring with Orcs. Their was no rejoice on their faces. She didn't know why her mind had brought her here but it did. Now she was in search of Frodo and Sam. Aaron was at first a little worried that soldiers might run into her, that was resolved when one didn't run into her but ran through her. He showed no knowledge of going through another human being, but she did. Aaron didn't know what she had felt, but it had been so strange that she altogether avoided people. She had no sense of direction, she didn't even know which way was North but she walked what she guessed was to somewhere. Soon, she saw the creature and then around a corner she found Sam on the ground and Frodo above him holding Sting to his throat.

"It's me." Sam said as if Frodo didn't know that. "It's your Sam. Don't you know your Sam?" Frodo got off of Sam and dropped his sword. Sam slowly sat up.

"I can't do this, Sam." Frodo said quietly.

"I know. It's all wrong." He now stood fully up. "By rights, we shouldn't even be here." He walked over to a wall, Aaron looked out it and saw a Nazgúl upon a winged creature flying away. "But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end...because how could the end be happy?" The image changed to Helm's Deep during the battle after Gandalf had arrived. Now, Aaron knew this was in the past, or at least she believed it was. Then Sam's voice echoed over it all. "How could the world go back to the way it was...when so much bad happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing...this shadow." The image changed again to Isengard, or what was left of Isengard. Water flowed from the broken dam, and was flooding the black tower of Orthanc. Ents stood amount the rushing waters and looked please with what they had accomplished. Still Sam's voice could be heard. "Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you...that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why." It went back to Sam and Frodo. Sam still stood at the wall and Frodo leaned against it. "But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories...had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going...because they were holding onto something."

"What are we holding on to, Sam?" Sam turned to him and pulled him to his feet.

"That there some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for." Aaron lowered her head, these were strong words coming from a strong but small Hobbit. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Faramir, who had also been listening, step forward. She moved out of the way to not be impaled. Faramir knelt down to the Hobbits level, and looked Frodo in the eyes.

"I think at last we understand one another, Frodo. Baggins." He said, his voice was calm and gentle, but a strong and noble heart said these words. He knew what the power of the Ring would bring upon Gondor; more ruin than it all ready was in. Another, older, guard walked forward.

"You know the laws of our country, the laws of your father." The guard said a little less kindly. Faramir stood up and look at him then aback at the Hobbits. "If you let them go, then your life will be forfeit."

"Then it is forfeit." Faramir answered more bravely than any man could answer. He had passed the test not many could. He gave up the Ring, to not only save Gondor, but the world as well. "Release them." He commanded his men. The dream went black with emptiness.