Chapter 29 - Rotting In Vain (Edited)

(Any reproductions of this story other than on https://www.wattpad.com/394008710-gast are not permitted by the Intellectual owner of this property. If you see any reproductions on other sites you should inform myself immediately as that is a breach of the copyright laws that protect this story.)

"Lord, What Fool's These Mortals Be!" William Shakespeare

Adam didn't know why they had ended up in bed together. It was as if a powerful force had corrupted them both. The moment they returned weak and weary from the wake a longing had begun to stir inside him. He found himself watching Lily as she walked. It was as if he was seeing her for the first time. His reality had changed; he no longer worried about doing the right thing. After all, there was no one left to judge them.

They could be together... Drown their grief and silence their sorrows in each others company.

Lily turned to see him staring at her... At first, she thought he was day dreaming again. He had been doing that a lot lately and he wasn't alone, she too would drift from this world only to return when someone called her back to reality.

Lily's cheeks had begun to turn a shade of scarlet as she realized that he had been attentively staring at her backside.

Adam watched as she turned to face him and subconsciously began to rub the creases from her dress. He saw the look in her eyes and felt the chains of fate tighten around them both.

"We should go and get something to eat..." Lily murmured and began searching for her purse.

Adam stalked across the room and embraced her from behind; he felt her subtlety move her body deeper into his.

"I'm not hungry." He whispered in her ear.

Lily felt his hot breath as it hit her neck and sighed. She tightened her grip on the table in front of her and struggled to control the raging beast within.

Adam began to move his hands down her waist and they paused at her hips. Lily bit her lip and tried to speak but Adam flipped her around to face him and kissed her with a force of passion that was equal to her own.

He broke from the kiss and Lily felt the nagging seed of regret take root in her stomach. This was where he was going to tell her that it was a mistake. She would meekly agree despite wanting to scream in his face.

"We don't need to hide how we feel anymore..." He spoke through dilated eyes.

Lily was about to speak but before she could Adam resumed kissing her, he picked her up and carried her to the bedroom. Lily didn't need a bed for all she cared he could have her right here and now. But she smiled inwardly as the gesture revealed that he didn't think she was a whore.

Adam now laid awake and felt only dread. Not for what had happened. No, they had both needed that. They needed an escape from their grief. It was the boy that had robbed him of sleep.

"Rose will come back..." He heard the warning every time he felt his weary mind shut down for sleep. It was a malignant cancer. Cancer that was eating him slowly from the inside.

It had started to affect his senses. He had seen Rose during his escapism with Lily.

He closed his eyes in ecstasy as he felt her fingers dig into his flesh and heard her voice tremble. Heard her call out his name and when he opened his eyes at the moment of release it wasn't Lily he was staring at but Rose.

Her eyes were milky white, her skin rotten and devoured in patched by worms. Adam pulled himself from Lily and rolled over. He couldn't purge what his brain had imagined from his mind.

He felt Lily snuggle into him and felt her finger as it traced across his back.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

Adam knew what he should have said but he chose to take a different course of action.

"I... I'm tired." He muttered and feigned sleep.

Lily stopped tracing shapes over his back with her finger and sighed as she turned away from him and was silent.

Adam hated himself he knew exactly what was being said in her mind but couldn't bring himself to reassure her just yet. The hallucination of Rose had stolen any joy or form of escape that he was looking for. All he wanted to do at this moment was to stare off into the distance and fog his mind.

As Adam slept with her sister Rose turned over in her grave...

That statement is not metaphorical but in fact very literal. Her soul slammed back into her rotten corpse and she turned and screamed...

She opened her eyes and smiled in the dark sanctuary of her coffin.

Her bones cracked as her arms began to twitch and twist in a monstrous manner.

She was back from that dark world of empty dreams and broken ties.

Her amber eyes lit up the coffin and she started to chuckle with euphoria.