Chapter 3.2 - Seethe and Shadows

Adam fought the darkness, yet, Rose embraced it. This was far from strange. She was dead, and the dead seeketh out the dark.

"Adam!" she called out to the great empty and heard nothing.

The darkness left her feeling warm and safe, her eyes had begun to close with the oncoming great sleep of the dead. At least that was what was supposed to happen.

Rose saw the light flicker ahead of her, she squinted and saw Adam fighting an invisible attacker, as he fought the light grew with intensity. And so the eternal slumber was taken from her. She felt awakened by the light and began to shiver as she approached it.

"Adam!" she called out to him and held her hand out.

Adam turned to stare at her with hatred and before she knew it he had struck her with his fists. Rose fell back into the darkness in pain. Tears rolled from her eyes and she wept.

She lay there weeping as the light grew until it was blinding and with a sudden explosion of light she was thrown from the darkness of the dead and fell head-fast into the world of the living. Rose stood formless and shapeless as the nurse left Adams beside.

She looked around at the brightness of the world and began to weep once more. She knew she was dead, she felt empty, hollow. Devoid of the light of the living.

Looking at Adams light within she began to feel stirrings of hatred and jealousy.

This was his fault. He had killed them both, yet by some miracle, he remained alive. He had a future, a purpose in life. The world was his oyster. She was doomed to this nonexistence, doomed to watch him live his life without her. It was then that she began to see another path ahead. A path that most would fear to tread. A path flowing with blood.

She glared at him from the doorway and the hatred within her kindled.