seven [edited]

Miracle Lenae Parker

The whir of bike spokes sounded on the opposite side of the basketball court. Milo, Warren, and I decided to hang out on the court opposed to going home so soon. The sun slipped through the naked branches and just barely covered half of our court. We rarely had moments alone like this, where we could just talk and vibe like we did naturally. 

Warren slammed the ball against the black asphalt after successfully making a shot. His parents believed that years of sports camps and basketball training would somehow make Warren feel more grounded and disciplined All it did was allow him five hours away from his parents. He did everything his parents wanted of him without a hesitation; I almost wished that I had the patience to do the same.

     "I told you that he's rude, Warren. You never listen to me," Imurmured, tugging on my earlobe.

Warren miffed, "I just can't believe he thinks we date. No offense, Milo, but even if I was straight I wouldn't holler at you."

     "Gee," Milo snatched the basketball from his sweaty palms. "Thanks for your unasked for honesty. I'm not even ugly; I have an attitude problem."

I tucked my bra strap underneath my white Polo blouse after shoving my basketball shorts and tank-top into my purse back. Rummaging around in Milo's backpack, I retrieved some perfume and sprayed the cherry blossom scent onto herself to mask the smell of rubber and dirt on my torso.

Warren reminded Milo, "What was your plan that you talked about at lunch? I ain't even get to ask you in English since Mr. Boogle wanted to talk with me right before class."

Milo didn't take rejection well in any type of form and Khari didn't realize that he became her newest challenge--much to my frustration. In middle school after a guy didn't want to date her, she cried for weeks and deleted every song that reminded her of him from her phone. I would rather she have to cope with his rejection, than to be in his presence.

Harrison went up to me before our history class and claimed that he needed to tell us something. I didn't want him around Milo or Warren because whenever the three of them filled the same area, they ended up arguing and leaving with bruised feelings.

     "I'm gonna wear him down until he becomes my friend," Milo announced excitedly. "I already made the move like a few hours ago."

I leaned to the right and hummed, "I don't know, Milo. He seems really creepy. I think you should just settle for looking and admiring from a distance. Harrison agrees with me, you know? He thinks we should just keep distance."

Warren shot an eye-roll over at me and ran down the court dribbling Milo's brown basketball. His bun full of hair lolled on his head every time he stepped, making me wonder why he planned on chopping it all off.

Milo smacked her lips and questioned, "Since when did Harrison join our 'we?' I thought you didn't like him anymore, Mir."

I friend yanked harder on my earlobe and glanced around the neighborhood to find something else to look at. My left foot drew semi-circles in front of me, making my entire body drape to the right.

     "I mean I never told you that I stopped liking him," I lied.

I had a crush on him since the eighth grade after he complimented my hairstyle. At the time, I believed that him running into me at the water-fountain was fate, but everyone else looked at it like a curse. Milo hated the idea of Harrison and I ever being anything more than acquaintances, but she didn't realize that I talked to him on the phone every day after school.

He listened to what I had to say without judging me. I told him about my dad, my fear of my relationships with Warren and Milo fading away, trying to cope with my mom's death. I developed a weird attachment to him and tried to keep my friends from finding out.

Milo swatted at a fly buzzing near her ear and snapped, "Girl, I know you did not lie just that fast. On my thirteenth birthday at the City Museum you told me that you got over him because he was ugly and your dad wouldn't approve."

Warren whooped, "Ah, she came with the receipts!"

Tugging on my fleece to keep out the cold air, I shook my head at the two of them bickering and suddenly wanted nothing more than to go home. I shouldered my purse and began the walk. Confrontation with the two of them together never turned out well.

<<fireside chat: okay, so like, people still might not like miracle in this edit, BUT her motives are definitely clearer now. i have so much in store for this girl, y'all.>>