Chapter 4

The rest of the day consisted of me cleaning around the house, picking up after all of Gracie's messes from the trail of Cheerios she left on the ground to the random toys and books she left scattered around the living room; the whole while, Harry was sitting on the couch watching TV like he owned the place. 

"You know, the least you could do is go turn down the TV a little." I finally snapped at him and his eyes flickered from the television to me standing a few feet away with a handful of toys in my hand. 

He gave me a long stare, his green eyes fixing into me while his body stayed slumped back against the couch. I saw his tongue peek out a little bit between his lips as he swiped it across his bottom lip; his hand grabbing the remote and pointing it at the tv, his eyes never leaving mine the whole time.

The room suddenly became a little quieter as he decreased the volume. "Thank you."

"Mmm." was his only respone with a small nod of his head before he turned his eyes back to the television.

I couldn't lie to myself. The guy really knew how to push my buttons and he's only been here about a day. I only acknowledged his presence when absolutely necessary and when I did, he usually didn't bother to pay any attention to me.

"Hammmmmmmyyyyyyyy!"

If I heard that name one more time, I honestly believed that I was going to throw up. In the short hours that Harry had been here, Gracie obviously took an immediate liking to this new stranger.

"Whats up kid?" Harry's voice soon took over the whole room. I glanced over my shoulder as I picked up the last on the toys and saw Gracie sitting on the couch right next to Harry, her arms moving up and down at her sides as she acted like she was a bird. 

"Why is your hair so curly?" I slowly sat down at the end of the couch, far from the two of them, watching carefully as Harry interacted with Gracie. 

He just laughed at her question then shook his head. "I'll have to get back to you on that one."

Gracie reached one of her small hands out to twist his hair around her fingers.

"My hair is curly but I like yours better." Quickly jumping up and onto Harry's lap, Gracie's hands slapped agaisnt either side of Harry's face as she squished his cheeks together. "Why so curly, Hammy!?"

Usually I would say something about her overhyper behavior but I really wasn't in the mood so I just let her carry on, squeezing his face. 

"Well...." his voice was mumbled slightly since his lips were being forced into a kissy face by her hands. 

"Why?" I couldn't hold back a laugh as Gracie's eyes widened in curiosity, leaning her face toward Harry's so their eyes were level to each other.

"Alright Gracie, I think Hammy has had enough of your questions for the day."

Harry glanced over at me, the little child still in his lap. "I think you should listen to your mom on this one, kid."

Just as the words left his squished mouth, the sound of the front door opening caught all out attention.

"He's here! He's home!" Like the speed of light, Gracie hopped off of Harry's lap and off the couch, running straight for the front door. I heard feet stumbling and a deep laugh and it was easy to assume Gracie had ran full force to meet Josh at the door.

I stood up, giving Harry a quick look as he also stod from the couch, straightening up his shirt. He looked nervous suddenly; his cheeks turning an almost unnoticable pink, his mouth in a solid line and his fingers now funbling with each other.