A Fairytale Prince

- Eighteen years later -

I sat on the stone well humming quietly to myself as I stared at my reflection in the murky water, lost in my thoughts. I knew I should be doing my day’s chores, but I always lost myself around the water well. It was near the wall that fenced in the castle, and all my years, I’d always wanted to see what was over that wall. I opened my mouth, letting the notes flow freely, as I dropped a small pebble into the well, watching my reflection ripple with the water. Closing my eyes, I breathed deeply before singing the next verse to myself.

“A dreamland imagined, a pure land believed, opus in te transeferre,” I continued in the unknown language, although knowing exactly what I was singing, “Ad te in caligine euis. . . ut desperes tibi, take thee to darkness. . . take thee to despair.”

I allowed the dark words travel out into the air as I plucked the water bucket from the ground, and began filling it with water from the well.

“Your voice is so beautiful, but that song is kind of dark, don’t you think?” I voice said, making the notes catch in my throat as I looked up to see the source of the intrusion. A man sat on the wall not ten feet from me. I gasped and nearly dropped the pail. I quickly brought it to my chest and flattening my back to the cool stone of the well. The man, dressed in fine clothing, raised his hands as if approaching a spooked animal. 

“Don’t be scared,” He called to me, “I’m sorry I scared you.” I remained where I was. “Come on,” He prodded, “It’s okay, I’m not going to hurt you.”

I glanced around my shoulder to see the man had jumped over the wall and was now slowly making his way to me. “I heard you singing,” He said, “And I couldn’t help myself. I had to see the fair maiden who had been blessed with such a talent.” I felt my cheeks pinken at his compliment and I peeked at him curiously again.

“I’m Prince Jonathan of the Darcian Kingdom. And you are?” He held his hand out to me, in hopes of knowing my name. I turned my head slightly to the side and narrowed my eyes at the man. He was pretty, with kind eyes and blonde hair.

“Where is that?” I questioned without answering him first. “The - Dacian Kingdom? I have never heard of such a place.” Prince Jonathan stepped closer, an amused grin on his ink lips.

“It’s a two day trip away near the mountains; I’m out on a hunting trip.” I nodded, letting out a silent ‘oh.’ Prince Jonathan chuckled and held out his hands to me. “Now may I know your name?” Hesitantly, I placed my hands in his.

“Sarafina. I am a servant here for the Queen.” Prince Jonanthan looked at me questioningly.

“Servant?” He said, “You are far too beautiful to be a servant.” The Prince scoffed before squeezing my hands and grinning brightly. “Come home to Dacian with me.” He proposed.

“What?” I asked, not sure what he meant.

“Come to Dacian with me and be my queen. Your beauty and talent would be something all our subjects could look up to.” Something inside me wanted me to go with the prince, although I was still slightly hesitant.

“Well. . .” Before I could answer completely, Prince Jonathan tugged on my hands and gave me a small smile, his eyes begging.

“Think about it?” He asked, his voice soft. Just as I was about to nod, the Queen’s voice pierced the air.

“Sarafina!” My head turned in the direction of the castle of where her royal mistress was calling me from and my heart jumped in my chest.

“I will be back tomorrow, awaiting your answer,” Prince Jonathan said, making me face him again. He was suddenly close and I felt the strange urge to get closer to him. He leaned nearer, our noses nearly touching, and I could feel his breath sweep against my lips.

“Sarafina!” I quickly pulled away from Jonathan, an apology in my eyes as I backed away from him and stepped toward the castle.

“I have to go.” I told him, “I will see you tomorrow, by the wall.” The Prince nodded and watched me race off. He didn’t return to the spot on the wall where he’d jumped over until I’d closed the servant’s door securely.

I leaned against the hard, warped wood of the door and sighed before the Queen’s blood chilling screech came again. “I’m coming, milady!” I called up to her.

I found her in her study. She was looking out the long window that faced the front courtyards of the castle, opposite from where Jonathan and I had been, but that didn’t mean she hadn’t seen anything.

“Where have you been?” She demanded to know, although her voice was level, it was burning with a deadly fire. She still faced the window, and her hands were clasped behind her back near the small of her back.

I held my hands in front of me, knotting my fingers together as I struggled with my words, as I always did when in the presence of the Queen.

“Well? Spit it out, child!” She glared at me over her shoulder and I couldn’t help the words that spilt from my mouth.

“I-I, um, I was just in the courtyard, retrieving some water from the well. The…gardens needed watering.”

“That is all you were doing?” She questioned and I quickly nodded. “I hope you realize that you watered them last afternoon. You were to be tending to the stables today.” She said, her gaze returning to the window. Although I had an uneasy feeling that she was watching my reflection in the glass.

“They…wilted after last night - because it had been so cool.” The Queen stayed silent for a long while before nodding.

“Very well.” She glanced at me over her shoulder before looked back once more and spoke. “That is all. You may return to your duties.” I bowed my head and quickly turned to leave. “Oh, and Sarafina?” Her voice stopped me and I was afraid she’d speak to me about Jonathan.

“Yes, your highness?” I answered, pulling my hand from the door knob, and pulling away from my freedom.

“A little birdy told me that there were…other people…in the area, hunting. If anyone comes to the front gates you are to get me immediately and then go to your sleeping quarters.”

“Why must I go to my room?” I asked her before thinking better of it. She glared sharply over her shoulder again.

“Why are you talking back to your Queen?” She challenged, and in response, I bowed my head in submission. “That’s more like it.” She said coldly and dismissed me.

I hurried from the room and down the corridor. I hated taking orders from that evil woman, I hated being trapped within the castle walls, I hated the rags I was constantly dressed in. I knew that the moment I stepped into my small room with the straw-stuffed mattress on the floor, that I would be saying yes to Prince Jonathan. Whatever I had to do to get away from this horrid place.

~*~

I was orphaned when I was a baby, at least that’s what I tell myself - or rather, something inside me says. The fact that I’m the only servant here at Sybil’s quaint castle leads me to believe that I was left to her when I was little, although something must have happened for her to treat me so badly. As I lay on my bed, I bit my lip and tried to remember anything from my past. The only thing that came to mind was the song that had been with me my entire life.

I’m not sure where I’d heard it from, but it somehow always found a way to wiggle itself in my conscience. I never really questioned it, as odd as it sounded, it was just something I found myself constantly singing.

I took a deep breath and let the thought fall away. All I knew was that when Jonathan came for my answer tomorrow, I’d be gone.

_____________________________

Enjoy reading, my dearest humming birds, until next time,

~Birdy