Skysong

This part isn't as long, but that's okay.

Light flitted over my tired eyelids, waking me from the heavenly sleep I so dearly wished to have more of. My legs still felt heavy, but I knew there was no way I could just give up after a single day. Getting up, I walked out of the tent and stretched in the warm sunshine. The remains of last night's fire still smouldered in its ashes and the faint smell of freshly cut Oran peppered the air, its source nowhere to be seen.

Inara wasn't nearby either, but her bag was still by mine off to the side of the tent, so she hadn't left during the night. Not that she would. Regardless if her whereabouts, I figured it would be good to begin repacking the tent and eat a berry or two, the smell of Oran still hovering around.

I spent probably half an hour on repacking the tent, I didn't exactly have hands, so it wasn't easy, and had just started eating an Oran when I heard someone singing in the distance. I ate the small berry quickly and walked towards the sound, being able to make out the last words quite clearly after walking a short distance.

--

Find it in your heart,
It's not easy,
And melt the icy veil.

Let me in your heart,
It's not simple, but hear all I cry.
That you can trust in me.

--

I stopped moving for several minutes. I definitely hadn't heard the song before, but it felt ingrained into the very air, as though it had existed long before it could be sung. The voice was feminine, but it wasn't the voice of anyone I knew.
"Why are you over here, Sarin? We've got to go." I jumped a clear foot in the air, turning around to see Inara, a huge grin on her face at my reaction.
"Lord, Inara you scared the hell out of me..." I laughed, shaking my head. "Where were you?"
"What do you mean?" She asked, confused, "I've been at the campsite the entire time waiting for you to get up."
"But I got up and you weren't there, so I put away the tent and such." I replied, a little freaked out. I couldn't have imagined eating an Oran and the pain of putting away a tent without real hands.
"Are you okay Sarin? The tent is still up, how did I not see you leave?" She shook her head. "You know what, never mind. Let's just get everything together and go." At that she walked back in the direction of the campsite. The tent was, in fact, still upright, much to my dismay. After repacking and a little more banter from Inara about what happened and beginning on our way yet again, I realized something.

The distinct smell of Oran wasn't there when I got back to camp.