Chapter 4

It had been 2 weeks since that car crash that happened out side of my house at 3 in the morning. A lot of people who I didn’t really talk to much at school have been messaging me and asking me what happened, or “who was that guy that was, like, driving that car that, like, crashed outside of your house, like, 2 weeks ago?” and it was really irritating. The people who had been trying to talk to me the most were the ones who teased and ridiculed me during high school. They are the ones who called me “emo” and they are the ones who always went out of their way to call me fat or ugly or some other uninventive name that I was called multiple times during a day.

I was going to meet up with my best friend Laura at our favourite coffee shop in the city. Even though Laura doesn’t drink coffee, it was our favourite, because apparently they made really good hot chocolate, and the coffee is amazing, but it’s mainly our favourite place to meet up because it’s opposite JB HI-FI where our friend Sarah currently works.  I never really like going into JB HI-FI because there is always so much that I want to get, and I don’t want to waste too much money, because we’re moving in a month. And that is going to cost a lot. But there are so many lenses and filters that I need (want) for my camera, and not to mention all of the cd’s. There are so many cd’s there that I would have to spend all of my savings to get every one of the ones I want. But don’t have any more room for new cd’s in my bedroom. I ordered my coffee and I sat down to wait for Laura. She was always late, and 15 minutes after she was supposed to be here and I was already half way through my third coffee she walked in the door, but as she sat down my phone rang. I looked at the caller ID out of habit over the past 2 weeks because I didn’t want to talk to my sister and I saw that it was a number that wasn’t saved, and I didn’t recognise it.

“Hello, Scarlett Jones speaking,” I answered as politely and kindly as I could. Talking sweetly, like I was a “normal” person who didn’t look the way I do. People were always surprised to see me after speaking with me on the phone, my dark hair, and my pale face, eyes always rimmed with a layer of eyeliner, and my lip piercing. It was always amusing to see people’s reactions to my appearance, only because I know people who have way more piercings, or even totally crazy hair.

“Hello Scarlett, I’m calling from the Royal Perth Hospital, and I would just like to check that it was you who called for an ambulance 2 weeks ago to the scene of a car accident?” I shivered; I didn’t want to talk about that accident. People were just starting to leave me alone about it. What could they possibly want now? Why hadn’t they called me 2 weeks ago, closer to when the accident was?

“Yes that is I. how may I help you?” I put on my mock office person voice. Laura was just looking at me trying to contain her laughter, because she knows I only do that when I’m really annoyed with someone so that I can calm down. I have a tendency to yell at people over the phone, even when I am in a public place like this café.

“Well, the driver of the car has woken from the coma that he was in and apparently he would like to contact you to thank you. I’m just asking your permission to give him your phone number, so he can call you?” she said this as a question, but I could tell by the tone of voice that she was keeping information about this from me. Even if I said no to her giving this stranger my number she probably would. She sounded like the kind of snobby person who doesn’t like people. And this made me question why she would want to work as the receptionist for a hospital, and I came to the conclusion she likes the idea of people suffering, and she is some kind of creepy witch lady who laughs at people when they are in pain. I know a few people like that.

“Well, I was going to say no, but I get this feeling that you are going to or you have already given this man my phone number, so do as you like miss snobby reception lady. I do not care at this point in time. If this man is a creepy stalker I will blame it on you. Thank you and good day.” I said in a false British accent and hung up. As soon as I put my phone on the table calmly and looked slowly up at my friend I lost it. I couldn’t hold it in any longer and I just laughed. I laughed so much I had tears in my eyes, and I could see that there were people looking at me like I was some kind of lunatic. Laura was laughing to and it took us a while to stop laughing and catch our breath.

“Oh my god! What the hell was that all about?! Thank you and good day!” she laughed mocking me, and I couldn’t but laugh again, I was trying to catch my breath before I spoke again.

“that was some bitch from the hospital and she was calling to ask my permission to give my number to a random stranger whom I have never met, because he apparently would like to contact me to say thank you for calling for help and not leaving him on the side of the road metres from his mangled car 2 weeks ago.” I said still laughing. I couldn’t help it. I know I shouldn’t be laughing, but it was funny to me. And like I said before, what if this guy turns out to be a stalker creep and I have to put up with him for the next month until I move to London with my friends? It was a scary thought.

“Really? She just asked if she was able to give this guy your number, and you said yes. What the fuck scar? Are you crazy women!?” she asked incredulous, yelling that last part, making me laugh again.

“I probably am, but we’re leaving soon, so what harm can be done, I won’t have this number for much longer. And this lady sounded like she was the kind of person who just go ahead and give the guy my number anyway, so why not say yes? If he starts being all creepy I can just block his number.” I was laughing again at Laura’s face, because she looked incredibly shocked, and scared, and excited all at the same time, while she was staring at something behind me.

“Hello, earth to Laura! Whatever is behind me cannot be more interesting then me just giving my phone number to a complete stranger who could be a creepy stalker!” I called to her, waving my hand in her face laughing at her.

“b..b..b..b….daaa…” she started stuttering gibberish, oh dear this can’t be good. I turned around to see what she was looking at and I found myself looking directly into the eyes of Dan Flint. The drummer from You Me At Six. I quickly turned and shook Laura’s shoulders, taking her out of her trance like state.

“Stop being an idiot. I think you should go and get me another coffee and talk to him,” I winked at her as I pushed her out of her seat. A huge grin spread across her face as she walked over to get me more coffee.

After about five minutes she hadn’t come back and I’d wondered whether or not she was talking to Dan. I turned to look behind me, to see that she was walking back with Dan behind her, and my cup of coffee. I smiled; thank god she remembered the coffee!