Chapt 26

Chapter Twenty Six

Grace had called Tal Harbord from Ashwood Refuse in San Diego, early in the morning while Sebastian made toast and coffee. He could hear Graces' voice as she tried to convince the man in San Diego that he needed to share information over the telephone. She started by giving him her name and badge number then Sebastian could hear her giving the telephone number at the Sherriff's office where he could check her credentials.

Sebastian opened a jar of peanut butter and continued to listen to the conversation. Grace tried to get dressed for work while balancing a cell phone on her shoulder.

"Yes. It will help a lot. It is rather urgent or I would come down there to see you."

There was a pause.

"Thank you. I appreciate what ever you can give us."

Then another pause and she said, "No you're not a suspect but we have only recently learned of your involvement with Mr. Vail before he died and anything you can share with us would help."

Then a very long pause and Grace said, "Of course I know Mr. Pezzo."

            She hurried into the washroom which prevented Sebastian from hearing any more of the conversation.

There was snap and two slices of rye rocketed up from the toaster.

When Grace came out of the bedroom she found Sebastian sitting sipping coffee at the table and eating.

"Did he tell you anything?" Sebastian asked.

"He was invited to bid on the business by Paul about a month before Paul was killed. I guess Paul wanted a bidding war. Maybe that was around the time he found out Jessie was cheating and he wanted Pezzo to raise his offer.

He had some nasty comments about Pezzo. Obviously the Pezzo family is well known in the sanitation business and of course their reputation is not good.

He didn't say too much about the business transaction itself but he did say he has been in touch with Jessie recently and that it looks like he's beaten Pezzo to the ball.

Harbord is buying the business from Jessie. He wouldn't talk about numbers but he was sure the deal is done. They just need lawyers to sign it off.

He also said that he had been told by Paul that Jessie wanted to sell to Pezzo but that Paul wanted to seek a better offer. It was almost happening too fast for Harbord's liking.  He said it was a good business but he was a little nervous that Paul was so determined to sell the business.

Then of course Paul was killed and Harbord said they stepped away from the situation. Until Jessie called two weeks ago and says she wants to hear what Harbord was offering. Now she's dropped Pezzo and is doing the deal with Harbord just like her husband tried to do.

I'm not sure what happens to Pezzo and his missing money now and I don't know what's going to happen to Starr. Maybe they'll let him stay on but it sounds to me like it's a done deal.

I guess if Pezzo came to town with two hundred and fifty thousand of the mob's money and if Paul Vail took some of it then I would think his widow, Jessie Vail has it now, unless Paul was hiding the money from everyone including his wife.

Sebastian refilled his coffee cup.

"I think that if Pezzo gave Vail some money to get the business he's not going be too happy that the widow is selling to someone else," Sebastian said.

"He's going to be very mad if he doesn't get his money back. I wonder what Pezzo and Jessie discussed at dinner the other night. Maybe Jessie told him she is selling to another bidder and if she did he must be asking for his money that went missing. If Jessie isn't careful she is going to end up just like her husband. She seems to be making the same mistake. Another member of the Vail family may turn up dead soon."