Chapt 16

Chapter Sixteen

Pulling into the parking lot at Vail's place of business, Sebastian saw the red corvette begin to pull out of his parking spot. He drove up right in front of Starr and turned off the engine of his truck blocking Starr's corvette. The door of the corvette quickly swung open and Cam Starr pried himself from the driver's seat.

Sebastian thought Starr didn't look so good. When they first met Starr was trying to impress. He had a square jaw and steroid enhanced bulk that seemed to make his secretary, Tiffany swoon when he entered the room. He was tanned and confident at that first meeting. With Paul Vail gone, Starr was king of the castle.

Here in the parking lot he looked worn and tired and his color was grey. His bright blue eyes were framed with bags and dark circles and his massive tanned chest seemed deflated. Starr looked like he was carrying the world on those over grown shoulders.

Sebastian wondered if it was the murder investigation, the arrest of his friend Teddy Arsenault or maybe Rappelo had sent some people around looking for his missing money. Sebastian didn't know what it was but clearly something was haunting Starr.

It was sunny and bright and the parking lot was busy with a shift change. There were four trucks taking up space and ten cars as well. It was not the best spot for a confrontation but when Starr saw Sebastian he seemed determined to straighten things out.

"What the fuck you bothering people for," he said.

"You're the second person to ask me that this week," Sebastian answered.

He didn't mention that the other one had burned to death in the desert.

"I've been speaking to a lot of people. Who is it that you didn't want me talking with?"

"Look we have cops in Winona. We sure don't need a little smart ass bothering people," Starr said, "the police here will look after things. Maybe it's time you left. You haven't helped."

He stepped closer to Sebastian and continued to rant.

"What are you bothering Jessie for anyway? I told you to leave her alone. Her fucking husband just died and you're sniffing around her. Leave her the hell alone. And what good is it talking to the bitch up in Salt Lake City.

I heard what she told you. I spoke to her. I called her to make sure she knows that she isn't ever coming back here and she told me what she said. That's a lie.

That's why I had to fire her ass. She's a god damn liar."

"I heard Kristy quit because you wouldn't leave her alone Cam." Sebastian said

Starr stopped shouting and stared. He was stunned by the comment. He wasn't used to men making accusations of that nature about him. He turned towards his car like he was ready to leave and then he spun around and swung a sucker punch at Sebastian.

The punch took Sebastian by surprise. He should have sensed it coming from Starr's demeanor but he didn't. He was able to swivel his face to avoid the full force of the punch but the huge fist caught him lightly on the right cheek. It just grazed him but it was enough to spin him around and Sebastian stumbled backwards a few steps. He didn't go down but he could feel his cheek swelling.

"What have you and Teddy been buying in Mexico?"

Sebastian continued goading Starr.

Starr was lost in a rage now. He stepped towards Sebastian who moved to his left and slipped his leg behind Starr's. Sebastian threw him forward and Starr tumbled face first to the ground.

"You get the hell out of here," Starr growled as he righted himself, Pezzo killed Paul and everyone knows it. If you don't know it then you're too damn stupid to figure anything out."