Chapter 2

“Oh, sorry” I apologised as I bumped into Chloe, James’ sister, in the hall.

“Its fine” she shrugged, not making eye contact. Chloe and I have never really gotten along, I think she disapproves of me though god knows why “People are arriving” she informed me and I nodded before dashing into my room and changing into my pale yellow dress that was tight at the top but had a puffy skirt at the bottom. James once said he wishes he could see me in a dress seeing as I never wear them. I thought I’d surprise him for his last birthday. Of course, I stayed true to myself and wore my white high top converse which probably didn’t match but I didn’t mind.

I then quickly brushed my hair and headed downstairs to be met with most of the party guests.

“Wow” Bill muttered when he saw me. He’s our other best friend by the way.

You see James and I had known each other since we could walk but when we got to school, we became friends with Davy, Bill and Miles. Most people thought it was odd that I spent practically every day surrounded by boys but I saw them as my family so I never really noticed.

“What, never seen a girl in a dress before?” I raised my eyebrows with a smile and he smiled back before pulling me in for a hug. Bill is kind of short with a small beer belly, stubble on his chin, curly dark brown hair and a soft complexion.

“How are you?” he asked once we pulled away. He wasn’t asking in the normal British way where you say it out of politeness expecting a short answer. He was genuinely asking how I was. I shrugged.

“I’ve been worse”

“How’s James?”

“Also been worse” I said again before slipping past him and over James’ parents. They smiled at me but it was a sad smile, as usual. His mum then hugged me and kissed me on the cheek, whispering a small thank-you which she did often. I smiled a little back.

There was general chatter and I wondered around the table making sure everything was neat and straight, my OCD at its best. Suddenly, I heard footsteps on the stairs followed by a loud creak and the slow banging of a walking stick. I glanced up to see James fully dressed in his birthday suit. He stopped at the bottom of the stairs once he saw me.

“Oh my god” his eyes travelled down the dress then up to my face.

“Thanks” I shrugged and Bill chuckled from behind me. I took no notice and walked up to James before straightening the silly hat he was wearing that actually suited him very well “You look rather dapper yourself”

“You’re wearing...a…dress?” he was still absolutely gobsmacked.

“I am a girl you know” I pointed out and his face broke into the first genuine smile I had seen in this house for over a year.

“Oddly enough I had actually noticed” he replied and slowly wrapped one arm around my back in an attempted hug. I helped him by standing up on my tiptoes and wrapping my arms around his neck. His warm, morphine-smelling breath tickled my ear. Even though I was completely and utterly in love with James, I don’t think he felt the same. Of course he loved me, but as a friend like the way he loved Davy. Tears threatened my eyes but I blinked them back before anyone noticed.

The party was fairly nice. It was just close friends and James’ family really. His mum had made a buffet style lunch and I had made the cake, complete with twenty nine candles because James says they remind him of the stars. He has this love for stars you see, and no-one can quite understand why. He loves looking at them and dreaming about them and I think he hopes that when he dies, he might become one.

After some quiet chatter James stood up, a little clumsily, and walked out into the garden. I almost followed but I knew he just wanted to get away from everyone, even if it’s just for a little while. Actually, that’s why Bill, Davy and hopefully Miles are taking James on one last trip to his favourite place on earth; Barafundle Bay. It’s really beautiful there, the way the cliff surrounds the beach so it seems secluded and isolated, the way the sun always seems to be shining but it’s never too warm. I think it’s the one place that James feels at peace.

You probably noticed that I just said hopefully Miles. That’s because James and Miles haven’t spoken in a long time and nobody really knows why. I think it has something to do with the fact that Miles’ dad died of cancer when we were sixteen and I’m not sure that Miles was ready to watch his best friend go through the same thing.

I had just given up hope on him ever coming when there was a sudden bang from behind me. When I turned I saw that Miles had knocked over a stack of books and didn’t look even remotely sorry about it. That’s Miles for you. He’s the tallest out of all five of us and he has well tone abs (not that I take any notice of course) a posh accent, calm complexion and short brown hair that’s slightly curly.

“Hey nine” he smiled and walked towards me. It was in our last year of school when Miles decided to give me the nickname ‘nine’ because apparently I rated a nine out of ten on the hotness scale (something I refused to believe) and also because when he was drunk he couldn’t say Nina so instead said nine.

“I thought you weren’t coming” I said but instead of replying he gave me a quick hug. He then went around and hugged everyone else before glancing at James and going to join him in the garden.

“Dammit” Bill cursed when I sat down next to him at the table.

“What?”

“I owe James a fiver”

“Because…?” I raised my eyebrows.

“I bet him Miles wouldn’t come” he muttered and I smirked.