T W O

Ray

Ray

Since my childhood, I had been taught by my parents to take care of myself. They had told me to not raise voice to save my vocal cords.

I should blame it on my cowardly life.

Sometimes I would think, it would have been better if I wasn't a future princess of flowers. It didn't mean I despised my life. To sprout new buds of flowers, to sprinkle flowery dust on withered flowers- I loved it. It used to give me an immense pleasure, there was no doubt about it. Just only one thing was there which was leisurely draining my happiness.

It was a terror.

A terror of anonymous power, about whom my parents had never told me, rather nobody wanted me to know about it.

According to my parents, they didn't want me to live a fearful life and therefore they had taken a great care to keep me away from such things. But by doing so, they had already built a mammoth wall of fear in me.

Whenever I would go out to attend a human school, my heart would thrum against my chest in anxiety and insecurity. To just trust someone had been even a difficult thing for me.

"I can't go, Ray," mom said in low tone, pulling me in her room, an ambience of floral odor. As windows were wide opened, enchanting redolence of floribunda roses permeated her room. "You know how much I_"

"Mom," I interrupted her quickly before she could speak, placing my hand on her shoulder. "I'm seventeen now, and I can take care of myself. There is really no need to worry."

I could feel mom was trying to say something. Her mouth opened and unopened and then she heaved a sigh while shaking her head.

"You scared of thunderstorm, aren't you?" mom asked me hurriedly, her eyes not meeting mine.

She was right. I was scared of thunderstorms, there was absolutely no doubt. Every time when bolt of lightening would impinge on the earth, I would cower myself under my bed, or would run towards mom and dad to hide myself. In mom and dad's shade I would feel secure, but something within me was screaming that I should not hide like a coward.

I should be brave, and face the situation before me. There was no use of running away from the troubles. In actuality, I wanted to move out from that womb of cowardice and to be a dauntless. After all, I was a queen of flowers.

To prove my braveness, after so many days, I had finally got an opportunity to check my braveness; and I would not easily let it go.

"Mom, Jimmy and Linda will be there with me," I responded, plastering bored expression on my face. In reality, I was trying hard to hide boiling fear in me.

"They are not capable to protect you. They are just a human beings," mom argued, her forehead wrinkled.

"Belle and Everett will also be there," I blurted out, hastily. Anyhow I had to assure her that I would be fine.