XVII. If

"You will not be going to Zaeylael without assistance," Dain said as he watched the small group pack their bags. He had his own pack shouldered and seemed in a good mood, though he was fidgeting a little bit and shifting his weight back and forth between his feet. Nerves, if the Silent had to guess. "I am going with you."

"I can't ask you to do that," Andraste said softly. She seemed different now, a touch more distant. The Silent could tell it was worrying Ekundayo, even if he said nothing of it. "It will be dangerous."

"Very," a woman's airy voice said. The Silent's head whipped around. There was a creature so painfully out of place amongst the gears and grime, an elf crowned with rowan leaves, her pale skin somehow free of smudges and dark. Her hair was so fair it seemed white, particularly when it caught the firelight. "There is an aura of corruption that has spread from the city. It affects the body, the mind. The water is tainted, the game twisted, the crops withered. You will need Dain's assistance—and mine."

Andraste's face brightened for a moment, but it did nothing to ease the fatigue that seemed to be troubling their sorceress. "Lieren, how did you get in here?"

"An elf goes where she pleases," Lieren said dismissively. "Besides, I was hardly needed in Tamaris. It seems well under control, which is rather boring. Your path, however...how interesting it is. My magic may be enough to shelter your minds from the air of madness that plagues the area. It is not a place to walk without a guide or a shelter. And, of course,  Dain's assistance will perhaps bring us through the city walls without crossing the path of the many demons that have congregated."

"Oh?" Ekundayo said.

"Zaeylael's foundations were laid by dwarves," Dain explained, clearly pleased to be useful. He tugged a little at a braid in his dark beard. "There are still old siege tunnels that run through the lower parts of the city. The demons and the Widow are not likely to have found them, though they may have constructed some of their own. For the most part, however, they are likely not expecting a serious attack. Yssa and Talin are at war with each other and the former lords of the High Kingdom have been ripping themselves apart without a clear leader. Ethilir is the main threat to their plans, but it does not extend itself into their territory." The dwarf glanced at Ekundayo. "You have enough on your plate dealing with the undead, Your Majesty. The only one poised to make an impact is the Queen of Genev, but the threat is not yet under her gaze—an oversight of ours, I suppose."

"Allowing them to gather their strength," Andraste said with a sigh, running her fingers through her own hair. The Silent recognized it as a sign of nerves or maybe frustration. "Does Mother know?"

"Very much so. Silana and Ralla's legions are crossing the sea as we speak, but it is likely that Talin will fall before they reach our continent if Deus achieves what He desires," Lieren said. "The Talinese have grievously overextended themselves and I am certain the demons know it. Still, Gader'el and Kasadya are not likely to push until victory is a clear result. After the Imperium's struggle at Losena, they are not so dismissive of the strength of the human kings."

The Silent glowered at the mention of the demon that had enslaved him. It wouldn't have come as a surprise at all if the Servant was responsible for the strife in the kingdoms of men. He had a vested interest in making certain the skirmishes and infighting continued. He would have said so if he had a tongue. Instead, he focused on making sure his bag was packed tightly.

Andraste took a deep breath and refocused. "So we have another way in? If we can meet with Mágissa Velane before tangling with Deus, we might have an ally."

For a moment, there was a flicker of something that might have been sorrow in Lieren's normal, pleasantly flippant expression. "I would not expect much fortune there, Cælestia. I do not think much of Iona Velane remains amongst the thorns."