XV. On the Road

The road to Arduinna was quieter than the Silent had expected. He wasn't certain what words had been between Andraste and Devyn, nor with her mother. Whatever it was, it left his friend pensive and sorrowful. He could see it now in the lines in her brow, the way her eyes fixed on the horizon. Ekundayo's questions into her well-being had been gently rebuffed. The warrior-king rode largely in silence, just as aware of the loss of Andraste's normally good nature as the Silent was.

Then again, the mute man was lost in his own thoughts half the time. Iona was alive. He wanted to feel grateful for that knowledge, but the appearance of the wight made a cold fear settle into his stomach. Zaeylael was not a safe place for his friend. What if she had run afoul of the demons as he had? That thought above all others ate at the dark corners of his mind. Never in a thousand lifetimes would he wish such a thing on her. But how difficult would it be to retain that gentle nature when surrounded by monsters?

He wanted Iona and Kája to be safe and happy more than he had ever wanted anything before in his life. They were the only true friends he had had before Andraste was added to that number. Life in the High Kingdom was not gentle or genuine for a noble, not with all the infighting.

They made camp near the river north of Witchwood, well on their way towards Arduinna. Andraste had said she intended to pass through Kel Badur to meet with the dwarves at Dhir Daral, though she had not given a reason. The Silent didn't require one. He trusted Andraste.

It wasn't until the sun set and the fire was burning that the conversation started. "You knew Iona Velane, yes?" Ekundayo looked over at the Silent as he spoke. "Can she be trusted?"

The Silent nodded. He picked up a twig and scratched in the dirt, I trust Iona with my life. That much he was certain of. His friend had a good heart, whatever trouble she was in now.

Andraste bit her lower lip as if stopping herself from saying something. Ekundayo caught the expression. "Andi, what is it?"

"I fear what Iona of Tamaris became," the western woman said softly. "The sway of demons is great. Mama told me that the last of the asëaní suffered a terrible pain. If Iona was indeed among their number..." She paused to weigh her words carefully."If that is the case, she is not well."

The Silent felt his heart seize up for a moment. He didn't want it to be true. He kicked the dirt to clear it and then wrote, We can save her.

Ekundayo nodded slightly. "Then that is what we will do, Silent."

A wave of relief flooded through the mute man at the agreement. His gratitude was easily visible on his face. It prompted a little smile from Andraste. "We'll do everything we can to get her out of danger if she is in it," the sorceress promised. "I would not see anyone suffer at the hands of Gader'el and his ilk."

The brand on the Silent's back burned a little, shifting under his skin. No doubt it was a reminder from Gader'el of the cost of crossing the border.

A silence descended on the camp for a long moment before Ekundayo spoke. "Andraste, do we seek the dwarves for a weapon?"

"For knowledge, though weapons will be useful too," Andraste said. Her gaze was fixed on the fire rather than on either of them, a faint frown on her lips that spoke more of deep thought than frustration. "Even Orobas's knowledge is imperfect. There are...gaps. I hope that the Forge-Tender will have solutions to the problem of Deus. Alternatives."

Ekundayo looked concerned, his dark brow furrowing. "Andi, you can talk to us," he said gently. "Something is bothering you."

Andraste looked up and gave him a small, half-hearted smile. "I appreciate the concern, Dayo. It's just...as I said, I fear. I fear what became of Iona of Tamaris, what Deus is planning, what dangers we will find on the road. It will fade in time." She stood up and brushed herself off. "I'm going to get some sleep."