ten

AND WE HAVE ANOTHER CHAPTER!! YAY! Btw, I know I promoted this in the last chapter but PLEASE check out the prologue of my new story, The Truth About Books And Boys. Link on the side. Yeah.

ten

As I step into the gym, my immediate reaction is to run fast and far. But then I remember that I hate running, so that option is eliminated, and I realize that my choices are quickly dwindling down. All I can do is stare and try not to pass out due to shock. There, talking almost civilly are two individuals with whom I have pretty tight relationships. They’re just chatting like it’s the most normal thing in the world, and they’re not even glaring at one another. It’s as if Hell has frozen over, or if pigs have begun to fly, for right now, Jason Berkley and Ezra are talking. To each other. Amicably.

           So instead of bolting, I decide to address the weirdness head on, fearing that I’m actually having a nightmare and that this is all fake or whatever. But as I near the two, everything starts to get less dreamlike with every freaking step. And they’re just there, having a conversation. Thankfully, though, I’m not the only one who’s totally freaked out, because the girl by my side looks like she has just witnessed a blobfish do the dougie.

           “Are they—” she begins, but I cut her off like the polite person that I’m not.

           “Talking? Yeah, I think they are,” I finish for her.

           “That’s kind of weird, right?”

           “It’s not ‘kind of weird’—it is weird, Lisa. Period.”

           “Are we in, like, the Twilight Zone or whatever?”

           “I think we might be.”

           “Should we leave now or wait until they turn into, like, lizard creatures?”

           “I’m willing to wait if you are.”

           “Deal,” Alisa agrees with a nod of her head.

           We get closer and closer to the boys, and everything just seems to speed up but slow down at the same time. Here we are, looking at my brother and Ezra, who are just having a freaking conversation, and it’s absolutely horrifying. These two are supposed to hate each other’s very cores and guts, so it’s more than a little alarming to have them just blabbering away like girls gossiping about guys or whatever. I don’t like it, and there’s an unsettling feeling in my stomach when I finally come to a halt with Alisa right by my side.

           I’m all like, “Uh, hi, Jay. Ezra. What’re you two, uh, doing?”

           “Talking,” Ezra replies bluntly.

           I roll my eyes, and look over to Jason for a better answer, but he doesn’t really give me one, and just says, “Yeah, what he said.”

           “Uh huh,” I nod, “what’re you two talking about?”

           “Practice today,” Ezra answers, bettering my information a marginal amount. I’m quiet, hoping that he’ll pick up on the cue and elaborate. Thankfully for me, Ezra catches the hint, and then adds, “We’re having a scrimmage today, Sal.”

           “A scrimmage?”

           “Yeah,” Jay says.

           “What’s that?” questions Alisa in disgust. “Is that, like, an orgy or something?”