Chapter Twelve

It wasn't the end of the night, in fact it wasn't even close since it was only two in the afternoon, but I was already lying on the ground. To another's eye it might be the sight of utmost defeat to have downgraded straight to the epitome of losing floors the shag carpet already.

To me it was just the fact if I sat in the chair it simply wasn't as comfortable.

Plus if I was sitting there I was more than likely to get whacked in the face by a flying hand of a rather annoyed Cash, and I wasn't taking that kind of a chance.

Ever since the moment Addy and Terri had left to fly back to Philadelphia - she did have her own album to make, after all - he'd been in an outrageously terrible mood. I was just keen to avoid it.

Lifting up the song book that I'd had hiding my face, I peered up at him thoughtfully for a moment. He was in quite the state, he'd taken it hard saying goodbye to his baby girl again, but I'd tried my best to not be around during the goodbyes. I was better at a short word and then walking away, I didn't like to draw them out, it only made everything worse. I'd hugged Terri and kissed Addy on the forehead just to hear her giggle again, and that had been my goodbye. Short and sweet.

He was even obsessing worse than me, listening over every track neurotically as if he was hoping he could find something so he could call Terri to come back and redo her drum track. It truly was pointless, Terri had done everything we'd asked of her to perfection, giving that song a hint of old school punk from the rhythm section that I'd dreamed of.

But it wasn't like I was about to tell him that.

My biggest problem at the moment was the fact that I wanted to talk to him about an idea, and he wasn't in the best of moods for discussion.

Especially about this song, the one that wouldn't leave my head but I couldn't finish. Cash kept saying we shouldn't bother with it since I hadn't completed it and that we had enough brilliant - yes, he'd said brilliant - songs to make an album. He just couldn't hear what I could yet.

When we'd been planning on the songs and the timing, we made a chart at the back of the room that had a spot for each song we were recording and the separate instruments and vocals that were needed for each. It had been with great reluctance that Cash had added the song to the bottom of it, I'd wanted to simply call it Untitled, however he'd gone against me to write Problem Song down. Nothing was filled in for that one, though it was hard to record a song that wasn't written yet.

Still holding my book patiently before me, I waited for my opening when the drum track ended, and spoke up before he switched it over to my vocals - he was being particularly picky with those today.

"I've been thinking," I started, trying desperately to be subtle.

Cash just gave me a withering look. "Have you?" he replied absolutely stoic.

So much for trying to be delicate, whatever, it wasn't like me anyways. I returned his look with a deadpan one of my own as I sat up, dropping my book on my lap, the spine straining. "Yes, I have and about that song."

He heaved a great sigh, as if he'd known what I was about to say. "Have you finished writing the words?"

"Well, no," I admitted, "But -"

Before I had the chance to continue, Cash cut me off, saying, "What's the point talking about it then?"

"Stop being such a cunt," I snapped at him. That was more like me. And it even had Cash's eyes flashing to me in surprise since I'd been so gentle with him for once since Terri and Addy had gone. "We have nothing else to do until Mish and Fab show up tonight, so we might as well work on it."