Chapter 1

A/N: Yeah, I know.  Two chapters in one day?  Well, in my defense, I already had them both written.  Enjoy!

Since when has speeding ever killed anyone?  Certainly not today…

I guess if I had to summarize my entire life, I’d start off with this: I don’t remember most of it.  Everything from my birth to seventh grade is completely blank.  Almost as if I never had the memories to begin with.  According to the doctors, I have post-trauma amnesia.  But whenever I asked them what trauma I could have possibly caused it, they winced and looked away.

After the first year, I stopped asking.  After the second year, I stopped caring.  If neither the doctors nor my parents would tell me what happened, there was no reason for me to waste my time worrying about it.

So, for now, I’ll just tell you everything I remember about myself.  My name is Aiden.  I’m 17 and currently in 11th grade.  I own a truck.  I really don’t care how much you complain about global warming and CFCs, I’m not returning the truck.  It’s mine.  My favorite color is green.  I have spiky (mostly because I’m too lazy to ever brush it) light brown hair and hazel eyes.  I’m about 5ft 9.

I should be dead right now.

Hmm?  Why should I be dead?  Well, that’s actually a funny story…

It was a typical school day… Eh, never mind.  That sounds way too cliché and a lot better in my head.  So, I woke up about 5 minutes before school started.  My parents were both spamming my phone with calls, trying to get me to wake up.  See, my parents both worked and they knew that if they didn’t say anything to me before they left in the morning, I wouldn’t get up in time.

They both forgot to wake me up and I overslept.  I guess it was partially my fault, but whatever.  I looked at my phone and bolted out of bed.  ‘Crap!  Crap!  Crap!’  I knew that if I didn’t hurry, I was going to have to go to Saturday school.  ‘Stupid school system!  It doesn’t make any sense to give Saturday school slips to kids after 5 stupid tardies!’  I threw some clothes on, slipped my feet into some sneakers, and raced out the door while grabbing my backpack and a power bar.

My Toyota Tundra roared to life as I sped out of the neighborhood.  I didn’t have enough time to put on my seat belt; I had to get to school!  My foot inched lower and lower on the accelerator and the car quickly gained speed.  ‘Just a few more streets until I reach school!’ 

However, I didn’t remember the sharp turn I had to make onto the road that led to the building.  I couldn’t control my massive truck at the speed it was going, and it crashed head first into a metal street light.  The airbag inflated in my face, which really didn’t stop my head from meeting the windshield.  Needless to say, I blacked out on impact.