Chapter 5 - Changeling

-Dareon Hallow-

So, she was gone.

He expected she'd leave, he'll admit it, and that was what he was sure happened. Aleksandra Bane, the rust princess, the Awakened Dragon Vessel, the scarred Wielder, had just up and left. Just like that. Not a word, not a goodbye, not even a final mean comment, which would have been something he'd expect.

Instead, she left behind the summer air and the scent of dirt.

Dareon was bent on the fact that she had simply left them. She could survive on her own, as a witch and with all the tremendous healing abilities she possessed. Let us not forget the fact that she could not sicken. Even though he claimed that Aleksandra just left them behind, probably moving towards the east, Lucan persisted on another idea.

"She didn't leave." The knight began, sheathing his sword and packing his favoured whetstone into the bag that hung on the saddle on the lighter-coloured horse. "If she did, it wasn't willingly."

"How are you so sure?" Dareon was still tending to the other horse, preparing it for the terrible feat of having to carry both him and Atlanta on its back. "None of us knew her very well at all, even if we've been forced together because of this quest."

Atlanta was silent as she saddled the horse and adjusted the packs. She didn't look rushed, she didn't even look the least bit concerned about their loss of a companion. Dareon was aware the woman didn't like Wielders, but he wasn't sure how deep her distaste ran. With a swing of his leg, he was seated on the horse, and Atlanta was soon behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist.

Lucan's black eyes were determined as he mounted his horse, the creature whinnying at the weight, hooves padding through the dirt softly. Soon enough they'd have to set these horses free somewhere, they couldn't possibly take care of them for much longer with the amount of water they had left.

The knight made his horse trot in place as he spoke firmly, "We may not have known her well, but that does not mean we know her well enough to believe she'd leave."

Dareon was silenced.

Their horses moved along, and he rocked back and forth on the dark-haired beast. He could smell horse-shit and the scent of his sweat, along with the faint scent of smoke. He had long ago rolled up his sleeves, and even with the long tear down the front of his shirt he still could not battle the overbearing sun. The houses on either side of the road could not provide a sliver of shade, and the insects were growing loud and bothersome, flying around him in circles. Yes, as if he already didn't need the reminder that he needed a bath.

The smell was enough.

But they hadn't encountered many rivers nor any pools lately. Their supply of water was running low already, but now with Aleksandra gone they only had to share among three people, with an addition of two horses.

Dareon felt a pang of guilt at that thought. Mayhaps he shouldn't have thought it was a good thing the girl was gone. Now, he had no one to talk to. Atlanta remained quiet, as always, her mind filled with thoughts she never voiced. Lucan as well always seemed preoccupied. Now, he seemed preoccupied with finding Aleksandra.

Which only made Dareom feel curious.

"Where exactly are we going?" He asked.

The question made Lucan throw an irritable look over his shoulder. "Zarkarath," was his reply.

"And you think she'd be there?"

Silence.

"If she didn't leave willingly, then you mean she was taken." Dareon surmised. "If we're going to Zarkarath, then you think Zarkarians took her. But for what?" Atlanta's grip around him tensed, but he didn't dare take the chance to look back at her. He could already feel her cold exterior rolling off her in waves.