Chapt 23

Chapter Twenty Three             

He slept that night in the pen beside Cassandra listening to her whimper and the dogs howling. Sebastian knew she was terrified and he realized that his unwillingness to talk to her just made it worse. Unlike her pen, Sebastian's pen had not been locked in years.

He knelt in front of Cassandra.

She cowered at the back of the pen.

Sebastian picked up a small stick from the floor of the barn and wrote the words, "will help you." in the dirt. Then he pulled at the lock on her door to show her that he wasn't able to open it.

She looked at him suspiciously and then she looked down to see what he had written on the ground.

"Please help me. My mother will pay you if you let me go. Why did you do this? Tell me."

He rubbed out the words he had written and again wrote in the dirt "will help soon."

"No," she pleaded, beginning to cry again.

"Please. I can't stay here. Please get me out now before that man comes back."

            Then Sebastian wrote, "Can't talk."

"Why not?" She cried, "Please say something."

            There was no time to explain so he just shook his head.

"Will be back" He wrote and then he climbed to the back of the barn to get some sleep. She called to him all night but he did his best to ignore it. There was nothing to do at this point. Tomorrow he would find a way.

Early the next morning Hill returned to the barn.

"You will need to help me in the fields today," he said, "My associate came by to purchase some crystal. We traded crystal for cash and that means you have a storage container to bury. I have the map to show you where to put it.

I didn't wake you earlier because the police officer does not like you and he most certainly would not be happy that we have taken a new prize. You need to keep her presence here private with our associate."

Sebastian had hoped he would be able to reassure the girl some more but he was being given a chore and would have to go out into the fields right away.

From the back of the barn he could see Hill bending down in front of the pen to look in at Cassandra.

Sebastian quietly reached under the board where he kept his secret stash and pulled out the small bottle of tranquilizer labeled, Domitor.  He quickly slipped it quickly into his jeans.

If Sebastian could speak, Hill would be more impatient and he would ask him what he was doing back there but there was no point. Hill had learned that communicating with a mute could be frustrating.

A pot of steaming oatmeal and two bowls were waiting on the picnic table outside of the barn.

Sebastian found it difficult to eat with a swollen tongue but he was slowly getting better at it and the oatmeal went down easily. He watched Hill closely and waited for an opportunity to add the tranquilizer to Hill's breakfast but Hill never looked away from his meal.

Although eating was difficult, Sebastian still consumed more than Hill. He had lost some weight since having his tongue cut but he forced himself to eat and so his health was returning. He was always conscious of his health and made certain he ate properly. He would have to work out in the fields with no lunch and so he continued to fill himself with a second helping of oatmeal.

After breakfast, Sebastian and Hill loaded the tubs of money onto an all terrain vehicle and then Sebastian rushed out to bury the loot. As he drove out, he worried that Hill would soon be raping or murdering the innocent girl that Sebastian had helped to trap but there was nothing he could do at this point.

He was now seventeen years old and had spent four years with Hill. He was a good worker and he dug the holes to Hill's specifications. Hill had given him very clear instructions where to put the money and many times over the years Hill would make a surprise appearance to check on his protégé. If Sebastian had not buried the money in the exact location or if he had not dug the hole to the specifications he would be beaten.

Eventually, Hill had developed a certain amount of trust and had begun to put down his guard.  He seldom came out to check on Sebastian lately. Today, he would probably be busy with Cassandra and would ignore Sebastian. Although it was very hot, Sebastian rushed to finish the work and get back to help her.

He buried the money quickly and was heading back towards the house in less than an hour where he parked the ATV behind the barn and snuck inside Hill's house to search for Hill and Cassandra. He knew that coming into the house uninvited might anger Hill and result in punishment for both Sebastian and Cassandra but he needed to know that she was alive. Even though he had tried to save her he still felt he had let the girl down and allowed her to be captured.

The house was silent and appeared empty but as he furtively explored upstairs he found the sun dress that Cassandra had on when she was abducted. In the upstairs bathroom he found that the shower was still wet and Sebastian knew then that Hill had made her shower and change into something which he would have bought her. He had watched her for weeks and would have taken the time to buy clothing for her as he had for Sebastian.

Sebastian hurried downstairs and found food laid out for tonight's dinner. He walked out of the kitchen. They must be in the basement so he started down the stairs but then stopped and returned to the kitchen. On the counter he saw bread, and some vegetables which would be used to make a salad. Something was boiling in a pot on the stove.

It was a stew for dinner and this offered a perfect opportunity.  He checked in the refrigerator. There was no evidence of any other meal so the stew must be for all three of them. Probably, Hill and Sebastian would eat first and then later he might bring some out to the table by the barn for Cassandra.

Sebastian didn't hesitate. He reached into his pocket and poured the final ingredient into tonight's dinner and then left the kitchen to find the others.

As he crept quietly through the hall, Sebastian could hear voices. They were coming from the same basement room where Hill had sutured Sebastian's tongue. He crept close enough to hear the girl sobbing and Hill speaking to her. His tone was one of anger. Something had happened to upset Hill.

Sebastian heard him say, "I will take you to the dogs you stupid girl. I thought you might have some sense but you are very foolish and you will pay for you rudeness."

Then there were footsteps and Sebastian knew they were coming towards him. He turned from the stairs, still trying not to be heard but moving quickly he left the house and sprinted back towards the barn, where he stopped and turned towards the house.

Hill came out of the house dragging the girl by her arm.

Sebastian ran into the back of the barn just in time to see Hill arrive with Cassandra in tow. He was visibly angry as he locked her into the pen.

"Sebastian and I will eat first and then we will return. I will find a use for you. You shall be fed to my dogs."